Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Storming of St. Barth in Vanity Fair

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,266
    This is very interesting. I put zero stock in Vanity Fair, but the article does raise some issues that deserve closer inspection. It seems worth noting that, relevant to the notion of a polarized island, politically/ideologically St-Barth is virtually at the top of French jurisdictions being homogeneous in that regard.
    To be followed more closely...
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ŔMHA

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 St Barts of Course Posts: 1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidain
    I put zero stock in Vanity Fair, but the article does raise some issues that deserve closer inspection.
    Like how Beyoncé was performing at the Nikki Beach whilst attending Abramovitch's party in Gouverneur

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,246
    maybe she went to the party after she performed or vice versa... but I hear she and Jay-Z will be in Vegas this year for New Year's Eve...

SBH Member Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 70
    what about the secret history of St. Barth's slavery ?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 51,698
    [biggest] Fulll article available online[/biggest]
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party -- June 5, 2023

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,823
    I was anxious to read this article and appreciate your posting it. I found the following Balazs quote to be quite telling -

But André Balazs says he will continue to pursue the eco-resort. “I’ve been coming to St. Barth’s most of my life, and I have always viewed the Saline project as a long-term commitment to the community,” he says.

A little earlier in the article it states that Balazs, when asked, had to be shown the location of the Manapany Hotel on a map. I find it hard to believe anyone who has been coming to St. Barth all his life could not know the location of Manapany. I think this guy would say anything to get approval of his project. Another irony is that the project as planned has a high likelihood of being a financial failure, just like the one on Grand cul de Sac, an abandoned project that has become an eyesore not unlike the island's trash dump.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,038
    As much as I hate the idea, I would like to stay there, although I am sure it would be big bucks

My argument on the subject is that there is no shortage of beds in comparison to the size of the island.

Investment would be better spent upgrading properties such as the Manapany, to cater to the new generation of clients are coming to the island.

In discussion with a member of the Island Council, the impact of the additional staff required on the island didn't appear to have been considered.

Given the consensus is that St Barts is already over populated......

Quote Originally Posted by JimD
    My argument on the subject is that there is no shortage of beds in comparison to the size of the island.

Investment would be better spent upgrading properties such as the Manapany, to cater to the new generation of clients are coming to the island.

In discussion with a member of the Island Council, the impact of the additional staff required on the island didn't appear to have been considered.

I couldn't agree with you more.. want to run for president ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eve aka coco2626
    As much as I hate the idea, I would like to stay there, although I am sure it would be big bucks
    bite your tongue, there would be no worse environmental impact on the island than developing the beach in Saline, not to mention it is on a flood plain and during Otto this year people at the nearby Saline Gardens were evacuated by boat... maybe you should stay in St Martin, the overdevelopment there may be more your style! and I say that only in the nicest way, but St Barth isn't for everyone...

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,702
    Go Ellen- and I agree that a hotel would be the death of Saline Beach.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux

I couldn't agree with you more.. want to run for president ?
    Being allowed to vote might be nice.

No taxation without....hang on.....

I'm not in favor of the Saline project, but I don't think it was ever planned to be on the beach (yet). I think it was proposed to be squarely in the middle of the stink-cum-flood-pond.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,702
    I know it's not supposed to be directly on the beach.

Andy

As you look beachwards from the car park (can't bring myself to say "parking lot", sounds like something for sale at a used car auction), it would be tucked in the far left corner where the ridge joins the hill.

maybe you should stay in St Martin, the overdevelopment there may be more your style!
    Have you been French side recently? It is turning back into a wilderness.

Why? Crime influence?

Having a high euro with French employment law, social charges and bureaucracy bang next door to a liberal (in the classical sense) dollar economy.

Zero investment that I can see, it's all going into the Dutch side, which appears to be thriving.

Ain't nothing going on but the rent.

maybe you should stay in St Martin, the overdevelopment there may be more your style!
    Wow, that was harsh. Overdevelopment is not my style. I didnt say I thought it was a good idea. I started it with "As much as I hate the idea". I said I would want to stay if it were there. I strongly oppose the idea, but 25 years from now, there will be a hotel there, and I would prefer an eco resort than something like Ile de France. I was only picking the lesser of 2 evils.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,043
    Wow, that was harsh. Overdevelopment is not my style. I didnt say I thought it was a good idea. I started it with "As much as I hate the idea". I said I would want to stay if it were there. I strongly oppose the idea, but 25 years from now, there will be a hotel there, and I would prefer an eco resort than something like Ile de France. I was only picking the lesser of 2 evils.
    uh-oh.....thems fightin' words, eve!!!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

Harsh?

That was actually a neutral aside pointing out that much of St Martin is not the hub of development that people think it is. The French side is rotting back into the undergrowth.

I am in favour of development when appropriate, I'm not one of those people who find poverty quaint.

St Barts is not in a position where it needs more investment to address an economic need, French Side St Martin is crying out for it.

I agree with your statement and stay on the French side 10 days a year.

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,823
    No offense, but "eco resort" is the biggest joke in this whole discussion.
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    and you're not just whistling Dixie...

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,991
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    kind of an oxymoron, eh?

Naval Intelligence?
    Neutral and Witty.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,970
    Having a high euro with French employment law, social charges and bureaucracy bang next door to a liberal (in the classical sense) dollar economy.

Zero investment that I can see, it's all going into the Dutch side, which appears to be thriving.
    The dutch side doesn't follow dutch employment laws?

Considering all the game between major currencies, having a small island divided into EUR and USD based currencies must be a pain in the *ss.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Petri
    The dutch side doesn't follow dutch employment laws?
    It's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side follows any Dutch laws. More correctly, it's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side enforces any laws at all.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,970
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinS
    It's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side follows any Dutch laws. More correctly, it's sometimes unclear if the Dutch side enforces any laws at all.
    That's very dutch then.

You are right. i am very naive. In my simple head, in a perfect world, I saw a true eco-resort. That would never happen in glitterworld.
    But I am glad I wont be around in 25 years to see what ends up there.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 NYC Posts: 17,991
    You are right. i am very naive. In my simple head, in a perfect world, I saw a true eco-resort. That would never happen in glitterworld.
    But I am glad I wont be around in 25 years to see what ends up there.
    BAD attitude. Sure you will.

and what's wrong with the IDF???
    Neutral and Witty.