iOS 4.2 today

JEK

Senior Insider
1290434912-085928-ios_4_2_banner.jpg

Apple today announced that iOS 4.2 will be released today for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, bringing iOS 4 features to the iPad for the first time.
Apple today announced that iOS 4.2, the latest version of the world's most advanced mobile operating system, is available today for download for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. iOS 4.2 brings over 100 new features from iOS 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 to iPad including Multitasking, Folders, Unified Inbox, Game Center, AirPlay and AirPrint.

"iOS 4.2 makes the iPad a completely new product, just in time for the holiday season," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Once again, the iPad with iOS 4.2 will define the target that other tablets will aspire to, but very few, if any, will ever be able to hit."

Apple also announced that its Find My iPhone feature designed to assist users with locating lost iOS devices is now available to all users free of charge. The feature had previously required a paid MobileMe subscription.

iOS 4.2 has not yet appeared for download through iTunes, and Apple has not offered an exact time for the release.

Attachments

• 085928-ios_4_2_banner.jpg
    085928-ios_4_2_banner.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 59
Find my phone feature will be available to all iOS users even if you don't have a MobileMe subscription.

I think I'll wait until I get home before I do the upgrade. It's just not prudent to do an upgrade this far from my home PC.

JEK said:
I have a couple and they are downloading :)

Steve needs to fix the iPad backuping. Takes hours and the iPad isn't even half full.. I'll see in tomorrow morning if the 4.2 has been installed :crazy:

After 2+ hours..

1290459007-Screen_shot_2010-11-22_at_22.49.52.jpg

I'll see how the printing goes tomorrow.

Wondering if there's an option to print directly to Dropbox from the iPad, without a Mac? That would be very useful when travelling.

Attachments

• Screen_shot_2010-11-22_at_22.49.52.jpg
    Screen_shot_2010-11-22_at_22.49.52.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 52
Don't think so. I found a couple of issues after I upgraded the phones and the touch - music and video was "empty" although the About showed the songs and videos. Another quick sync and they reappeared. The AirPlay with the ATV is cool - look at all the iPhone pics on the big screen.

when was the last time you did a b/u? I find it works much faster if you b/u every time you sync and take apps in through iTunes not over the "air"

JEK said:
when was the last time you did a b/u? I find it works much faster if you b/u every time you sync and take apps in through iTunes not over the "air"

Perhaps a few weeks ago, not sure. The problem is that we have all our media on the Mini in the living room and the iPad is hardly ever there -- I buy most of the apps directly to the iPad and I don't use calendars or contacts on the iPad that need to be synced frequently.

I'm currently on the third try. The first backup failed due lack of disk space (hello? who wrotes backup code that doesn't check if there's enough space?!), the second looked it was stalling this morning so I clicked (x) to cancel it -- during the sync one can skip the backup part that way, didn't work for the update. Even managed to get Windows-like error message, "iTunes could not back up the iPad "iPad" because the backup session failed.".

It's now half way with the 3rd backup. I'm doing backup and sync first, then update.

The sync/backup code really suck, I need to write Steve about it :D iStats shows very short disk i/o spikes, it's not using much cpu nor memory. Just bad implementation. And hellouw, it's 2010 and you still need USB cable to sync?! Even the 3rd party folks have managed to get iTunes sync work over WiFi.. available to your jailbreaked devices.

Hopefully running 4.2 tonight.

Make sure your USB cable is pugged directly into the machine -- some hubs just say they are 2.0.