"Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget,"

BBT

Senior Insider
Apple promises unforgettable iTunes announcement coming Tuesday

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 10:00 AM EST

Apple has published a teaser on the front page of its website, telling customers that an "exciting announcement" regarding iTunes is coming at 7 a.m. Pacific, 10 a.m. Eastern on Tuesday.

"Tomorrow is just another day. That you'll never forget," the page reads. "Check back here tomorrow for an exciting announcement from iTunes."

It lists local times in California and New York, at 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. respectively, that the announcement will be made. Also included are 3 p.m. in London and midnight in Tokyo.

The mention of iTunes could hint that the product will be related to the streaming of content, perhaps from the new data center Apple has built in North Carolina. Apple has been rumored for months to be working on a cloud-based iTunes service that would allow users to stream their music from any connected device.

However, recent reports suggested that Apple has encountered roadblocks in its negotiations with content providers. People familiar with those negotiations have suggested that any cloud-based iTunes features would likely be "modest" if they launch in the near future.

Voosh, don't forget that Virtualization is New too. I wonder what it was that we were doing back in the 70's?

Biggest change is not saving data on the slave and virtualization on the server. I'd like someone else to store all my music and free up local storage. Same with photos and other stuff. Let Big Brother take care of the backup.

KevinS said:
Voosh, don't forget that Virtualization is New too. I wonder what it was that we were doing back in the 70's?

Geez, We were doing that "V" stuff on 360s. A major financial institution hired me to do that "whiz bang" stuff for their trading desk systems to replace some really old HP and DEC gear. I did move Adventure over for all to noodle with.

1289846085-Abby_ncis.jpg

Attachments

• Abby_ncis.jpg
    Abby_ncis.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 64
Update:
Apple Not Likely to Introduce Cloud-Based or Subscription iTunes Tomorrow?
Monday November 15, 2010 01:40 PM EST
Written by Eric Slivka
With Apple's teaser posted today regarding an "exciting" iTunes-related announcement scheduled for tomorrow, there has been a considerable amount of speculation about what exactly the company is planning to reveal.

One of the most popular topics of discussion for some time now has been a cloud-based iTunes that would allow users to have their purchased iTunes Store content hosted on Apple's servers and streamed to Internet-connected devices rather than having to manage local content libraries on each machine or on a user's home network. Another popular rumor dating back many years is a subscription-based music service that would allow users to pay a monthly fee to be able to listen to an entire catalog of music.

But according to All Things Digital, both of these possibilities appear unlikely given the lack of any inside reports of new contracts with major music labels that would be required for such plans.
But the music industry sources I've talked to so far today don't know of any new deals between Apple and the big music labels. So that would rule out a new subscription service, which would definitely require a new rights deal.

And that also makes it very unlikely that Apple does the next best thing: Letting users upload their iTunes catalog to the cloud, and letting them access it anywhere they want.

The report notes that Apple could try to announce such services without deals in place, but that Apple would likely not be interested in antagonizing content providers with such a move as it continues to try bring them on board with its digital initiatives.

Virtualization doesn't sound cool, too nerdy. That's why it is called cloud now and everyone is excited!

And if they are smart they don't really upload any music that is in your local store that is in their master catalog, just a pointer.

JEK said:
Biggest change is not saving data on the slave and virtualization on the server. I'd like someone else to store all my music and free up local storage. Same with photos and other stuff. Let Big Brother take care of the backup.

Until the first EMP attack.

JEK said:
Voosh is going to say LPARs, but that was a little later in MVS.

VM on 360/67 and some Amdahls. (I still can't mention the rest. But, ARPA stuff was fun, too.)

Been there. Done that.

JEK said:

They need to do something smarter.

It takes about 1.5 months to upload my music library somewhere -- and I don't want to block my upstream for 1.5 months. The library is one $100 2T disk here and another 2T on the RAID5 NAS in the basement that are synced, pretty simple. We buy relatively little new music and most of it isn't found on iTunes.

Similar setup for the photos, one drive next to the iMac, synced to the NAS. (Our house don't have wired gigabit cabling, I don't allow surface cables, the walls are steel-enforced concrete so there's very little to do about it.. and wireless won't go far. So I have less networked storage than I'd prefer)

With folks like Backblaze and EMC-backed Mozy offering $5/month unlimited storage, generic online storage isn't very lucrative business.

None of the above is a day that you'll never forget.

PS. I decided to not renew MobileMe, I just haven't used it for anything.

And, I thought our home systems with, in aggregate, over two terabytes were too much. And, there is no hard wiring. Hopefully, our "wireless" connections are secure. If not - we will track it down and "shoot to kill" - yes, it's not just a 2nd amendement issue.

WSJ: Apple to announce arrival of Beatles catalog on iTunes

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 06:45 PM EST

Apple on Tuesday will announce that the iTunes Store will begin carrying music by the legendary rock group The Beatles, The Wall Street Journal has reported.

Citing people familiar with the situation, the site reported Monday evening that Apple's "exciting announcement" would revolve around the arrival of Beatles songs on iTunes. Representatives of the band, as well as their EMI Group record label, were in talks with Apple as recently as last week.

Monday morning, Apple put a teaser on its website, telling customers that the company would have an "exciting announcement from iTunes" Tuesday morning. That led to speculation that Apple could announce a new, cloud-based iTunes service, or a monthly music subscription plan.

Other reports, however, said those products would be unlikely, as Apple does not have the rights required to stream music to customers. Apple has allegedly been in negotiations with record labels for months in an effort to forge a deal.

Rumors of The Beatles finally coming to iTunes are nothing new, but John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono helped to quiet those talks in August, when she said that fans shouldn't hold their breath for a potential deal.

The Beatles have long resisted digital music, instead opting to re-release albums on physical mediums. The band finally released their music digitally on special USB devices, as well as the video game "The Beatles: Rock Band," but iTunes did not come to be.

Rumors of an Apple-Beatles deal became more plausible in recent years, after Apple and Apple Corps made amends and settled a trademark dispute. Previously, the two companies were engaged in a legal battle for years.

OK. What's the big deal? We have every vinyl and CD by "the fab four" with all devices linked in to listen and enjoy. I paid for those tunes years ago.

Largely symbolic as Jobs has been trying to do this since the iTunes store opened. In 2000s the Beatles were second in CDs sold, so not everyone has vinyl in the basement. There are millions of new fans discovering their timeless music for the first time every day.