Chicken anyone?

I brought a chicken cutlet to work- boned it, sliced it, flour, egg and bread crumbs/locatelli and fried it up last night. Got it from my butcher.

plenty of poultry farms here....but my deckhand on the boat who is going to school for organic farming, dabbled in it this summer...his target was to sell a hundred chickens....the restaurants in town loved them so much he ended up doing 350....he gave me a dozen to take home...nice roaster size....you should see his operation....when the chickens are ready he calls up a company who brings in a huge mobile unit....both Kosher and USDA approved....it kills, feathers, cleans, and scalds the chicken in minutes...put a live chicken in on one end, get an oven ready chicken out the other...I went and watched it..it is beyond belief

Chicken is dipped in hot water which lossens the feathers allowing for easy removal. Can be done by hand or by machine. The chicken is then gutted, the gizzard and feed bag removed and dipped again in clean water. I probably did over 500,000 chickens so take my word for it. }:|

well some day I will tell you my story of being in Louisiana getting fueled up to go offshore to my rig....and the fuel guy sold us a live chicken...and not one person on board had a clue as to how to prepare this thing...but we tried....and PETA would have put us in jail and thrown away the key had they seen us in action....it was a comedy act...keystone cops

My mother had a stump and a little hand axe in the backyard. Lot's of chickens processed in that backyard.

Well that's one way but it makes the chicken sort of unmanageable and messy. Doing it outside breaking the neck is easier.

JEK said:
My mother had a stump and a little hand axe in the backyard. Lot's of chickens processed in that backyard.

we had no axe on the boat ( other than a dull fire axe )...and no really big knife...what we did have was a big 12 cylinder engine which had a whole bunch of big moving belts driving assorted pumps and alternators....we also had a huge vice...and pipe wrenches..and bolt cutters

and we were young and stupid...

use your imagination for the rest

it died fairly quick...it was trying to get it edible afterwards that was the challenge
I was the oldest person on the boat and was the Capt and I wasn't 30 yet....

1273869345217.png