AIS Data for iPhone, iPad

KevinS

Senior Insider
There's now an app that displays the AIS data that we see on the LiveShips website. I'm playing with the free version, which only updates twice a day. The pay version is said to be realtime.

1285376547-Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 58
KevinS said:
There's now an app that displays the AIS data that we see on the LiveShips website. I'm playing with the free version, which only updates twice a day. The pay version is said to be realtime.

1285376547-Capture.JPG

Cool App. Thanks. And speaking of apps, I just counted and found that with this latest one, I have downloaded 35 (not including the ones that came with the phone) in the short few weeks I've had the phone.

Okay iPhoners, fess up. How many apps do you have (and is there an app for counting your apps?). I have a feeling a certain Moderator just might top the list, but it's just a feeling.

JasB said:
Okay iPhoners, fess up. How many apps do you have (and is there an app for counting your apps?). I have a feeling a certain Moderator just might top the list, but it's just a feeling.

Well, I don't have an iPhone right now, but I've noticed that the number of apps that one actually really, really use is very small. At some point one just becomes picky about installing every piece of software on the device. iPhone is pretty limited how you can organize the apps (just 12 apps per folder, please, Steve, that's so stupid).

I got the $7.99 one. I find that at times the server must be down for a city as I can see New York on marintetraffic.com with lots of ships and then the iPad app has none. Here is SF both ways. Pretty close.
1286477482-Screen_shot_2010-10-07_at_2.44.48_PM.jpg
1286477505-photo-2.jpg

Attachments

• Screen_shot_2010-10-07_at_2.44.48_PM.jpg
    Screen_shot_2010-10-07_at_2.44.48_PM.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 56
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 55
JEK said:
4.2 allows more apps per folder.

You mean the 20 that comes with iPad iOS 4.2?

Perhaps someone could tell Steve that he could just make it unlimited and add similar pages to the subfolders like there are on the main level. Swipe the folder left/right for more apps. Subfolders could be useful for some people. I think there's an jailbreak app for that. But seriously waiting 4.2 for the iPad, want the multitasking and I've kept my iPad apps a mess while waiting for folders of any kind.

BTW, those AIS receivers are run by ordinary folks. To make the maps work better, one can consider investing about ~500e (AIS receiver with network interface is the best option) and join the volunteers.

New York has been down on the app for the past few days. Marinetraffic.com is coming in loud and clear.

JEK said:
4.2 allows more apps per folder. I have 95 iPad apps and 139 iPhone apps.

Here's something Apple should copy:
http://www.appsafari.com/utilities/12670/infinifolders/

Noticed it yesterday on http://www.macstories.net/iphone/my-20-must-have-cydia-apps-tweaks-for-iphone/

Other thing Apple should copy is:
http://www.macstories.net/ipad/multifl0w-expose-like-multitasking-for-iphone-and-ipad/

.. it's annoying when outsiders make more Apple-like things than Apple itself :D