Googles Music Download Site...

LOL...I know...and I love it...but you have to admit...Google doesnt do anything half assed...so at the very least, it will be interesting to see what the product looks like

Many would say there phones have been pretty weak. They dabble in lots of things and some work out and some don't. They are the ultimate cloud player at this time and have the server capacity that's for sure.

Mike R said:
Google doesnt do anything half assed

I would actually say the opposite. Almost everything they do is half assed, plenty of alpha- and beta-quality things. But it's great that they actually try to keep the ideas open and do experiments, they have all the resources and some ideas will fly, some won't. Many other companies kill commercially unviable ideas much faster.

Also plenty of Google services weren't originally from Google. For example Google Maps came from Australian company Where2 which Google acquired.

PS. The future is with Spotify-type of services for music. It works so well that it feels like it was made by Apple and the social element is there as well through shared playlists.