Portugal

LindaP

Senior Insider
15 more days until my 3rd trip but it will be Bill's first.....
Algarve coast is awesome!!!! :)

Hey Linda-That's someplace different! I wish you both a wonderful trip. Never been to Portugal, so I will read all of your posts and live your trip vicariously. Amy

Obrigata Amy! I have a hard enough time with French, Portugese is crazy!!! I will post a report and , hopefully photos on our return!

Are you staying in the Algarve region only? I can give you a few great recommendations for Lisbon...

No, we will be staying for a couple nights in Lisbon (at the Sofitel on Liberdade).....know any good restos? Thanks ! I do want to go party one night in the Barrio Alto area!

wow...portugal! how exciting. i know absolutely nada about portugal. except, of course, they produce some of the greatest stone fence artisans.

please, do, post reports avec photos! i look forward to hearing/reading all about it, linda!!

have a great time and be safe!!

Linda, I am on the road, but I will get back to you as soon as I get home with a few recommendations of some very special places we visited...

BTW, if you have a basic knowlege of Spanish, you will be comfortable reading Portuguese. I was...

Thanks Jeanette,.....I know some words are similar, but "fango" for chicken, where did that come from???? Pollo yes, but fango?

Linda, I hope you pick this up before boarding. Here are my Lisboa (Leezh-bo-uh as locals prounounce it) recommendations...

Lisboa has great food, but my two FABULOUS meals were:

Valle Flôr at the Pestana Palace (Traditional Belgian)
I stayed at the Pestana Palace and enjoyed one of the best meals of my life at Valle Flôr. The hotel (really truly a palace) is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the heart of Lisboa. Arrive early, have a cocktail at the beautiful lounge and then tour the beautiful grounds outside. My travel partner had the cod special and it was divine.

A Travessa (Belgian/Portuguese)
We started with cocktails and live piano music at the Lapa Palace and took a stroll to A Travessa. Beautiful old convent converted to a restaurant. Fabulous appetizers were served tapas style selected at the pleasure of the chef. I had the foie gras main course and it was heavenly.

Solar Do Vinho Do Porto
Rua de São Pedro de Alcantara, 45, Bairro Alto
The Port Wine Institute, set in an 18th century palace, lures in visitors with over 300 varieties of port. Prices for a glass start at 1 euro, and are served at low tables.

Fado Club in the Bairro Alto
I forget which fado club I went to, but fado music is so integral to the fiber of Portuguese culture that I would recommend experiencing it.

Have a magical trip. Can't wait to hear about it.