Apple to Provide Live Video Streaming of September 1 Event

What:
Live video stream of Apple’s September 1 event

When:
Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 10:00 a.m. PDT

Where:
www.apple.com

Live Video Streaming

Apple® will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple’s industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac® running Safari® on Mac OS® X version 10.6 Snow Leopard®, an iPhone® or iPod touch® running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad™. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on September 1, 2010 at www.apple.com.

This broadcast is the property of Apple and is protected by US copyright law and international treaties. Any reproduction or distribution is strictly prohibited without prior written approval from Apple. Please contact Apple Public Relations with any questions.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple is reinventing the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

Press Contacts:
Kristin Huguet
Apple
khuguet@apple.com
(408) 974-2414

[Additional Entries] 12:28 - 1:05
1:05
Some days, over 1 million people visit Apple's retail shops. Jobs boast this is much greater an than the Macworld Expos of old.
1:05
Stores are holding 80,000 one-to-one sessions per week.
1:06
Next up iOS:
"A revolution in touch and apps"
Apple's shipped over 120 million iOS devices to date.
1:07
Apple is activating a little over 230,000 iOS devices today. These are all new activations, unlike some of Apple's rivals who are fudging their numbers by counting upgrades.
1:07
Over 6.5 billion apps downloaded. Or 200 apps every second.
1:08
Over 250,000 apps available, including 25,000 iPad apps.
iOS 4.1 being introduced today.
Bug fixes: Proximity sensor, Bluetooth, iPhone 3G
1:09
Adding: High Dynamic Range Photos. HD Video upload over WiFi. TV Show rentals. Game Center
1:10
High Dynamic range photos: the software takes one under exposed, one normal exposed, and one over exposed, and forms them into one pristine photo.

1:11
Game Center: Multi-player games, Challenge Friends, Auto Matching
1:11

1:12
New game coming later this year that Jobs calls 'remarkable' from Epic Games.
1:12
Mike Capps, President of Epic called on stage to reveal their first project for Apple mobile devices.
1:13
Game code-named Project Sword: filled with epic sword battles:
1:13

1:14
Animation looks rich, amazing and smooth.
1:14
Demonstrating a head-to-head battle over game center.
1:15

Project Sword will be available this holiday for iPhone, iPod and iPad.
Steve is back.
1:16
iOS 4.1 will be available next week via iTunes as a free download.
Jobs says he has a surprise sneak peak at iOS 4.2 -- and it's all about iPad.
It's bringing everything to iPad, multi-tasking, game center, wireless printing!
Apple's also adding AirPlay
1:17
Printing: option appears in dropdown menus. New App called Print Center will show up in the multitasking dialog.
1:19
AirTunes is changing to airplay. You'll be able to stream more than just music: videos and photos too.
1:19
Jobs is showing a demo of iOS 4.2 for iPad, showing Pandora running in the background, universal inbox and threaded messages, folders.
1:20
iOS 4.2 is coming out in November as a free update for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

Next up: iPods
1:21
Apple's sold 275 million iPods.
All new designs for every model of iPod coming today.
Biggest change in iPod lineup EVER.
1:22
iPod shuffle:
1:22
Showing the first, second and third generation shuffles.
1:23
Apple conceeds that users missed the buttons on the 3rd gen shuffle, so buttons are back.
1:23

1:24

Small and wearable, easy to use buttons, playlists, genius mixes, VoiceOver, 15 hours of music. 5 colors. $49

Next up: iPod nano
Going through the first 5 generations.
1:25
Apple wanted to make it smaller and better.
Only one way to make it smaller: jettison the clickwheel. Make it touchbased.

1:26
All multi-touch, built in clip, 46% smaller and 42% lighter

Volume buttons, VoiceOVer, FM radio, Nike+, 24 hour battery playback
1:27

1:27

1:28

1:29
Has a homepage like the other iOS devices.
Can rearrange icons the same way as other iOS devices.

1:30
It's got an accelerometer as well, orientation switching.
1:30

1:31
Same 5 colors as the shuffle, plus two more: Product (RED) and graphite.
1:31

1:32
$149 in 8GB version $179 in 16GB version
1:32

1:33
New iPod touch:
1:33
Retina Display; 326 ppi 24-bit color, LED backlit
1:34
Apple A4 chip, 3-axis Gyro, iOS 4.1 Game Center, Front Facing camera and FaceTIme
Rear camera as well with HD recording. 40 hours of playback

1:35
3 models: 8GB for $329, 32GB for $299, and a 64GB for $399
1:35
All three iPods available for pre-order today. Ship next week.
1:36

Jobs is demoing the new array of iPod TV ads.
1:37

1:37
"strongest lineup of new iPods we ever had."
1:38
Next up: iTunes
1:38
Customers have downloaded over 11.7 billion songs
Over 450 million TV episodes
Over 100 million movies downloaded
Over 35 million books
Over 160 million accounts worldwide
1:39
Today: iTunes 10
Changing the iTunes Logo
iTunes next spring will surpass sales of CDs
So they're getting rid of the CD icon
1:40
New Hybrid view, where if u have more than 5 songs from a single album, it doesnt repeat redundant information and instead shows album artwork.
1:40
Apple focused a lot on "Discovery" with iTunes 10.
1:41
"What are my friends listing to?"
"What are my favorite artists up to? What concerts are my friends going to?"
New feature: Ping
A social network for music.
Follow your favorite artists and friends. Discover what music their listening to and downloading.
1:42

1:42
FaceBook and Twitter meets iTunes, essentially.
1:43

1:43
Summary:
1:44
Social music discovery
Follow and be followed
Circle of friends (following with restrictions) so you can get as private or public as you want.
1:45
Post your thoughts and opinions
Custom song and album charts
over 170,00 concert listings
1:45

1:46
Steve is demoing Ping
1:47

1:49
Ping also can show when users comment on photos, purchase a song, etc.
1:49
"A social network all about music"
1:50

Ping will also be available on iPhone and iPod touch, available via iTunes Store app.
iTunes 10 available today to the 160 million people in 23 countries who have an iTunes account.
1:51
One more thing...
One more "hobby"
Here comes Apple TV MakeOver
Apple TV was introduced September 2006. Sold a lot of them but "not a big hit." Still, users love their Apple TVs and use them a lot.
1:52
So what do consumers want?
1:52
Hollywood movies and TV shows whenever they want them.

The greatest thing was actually how well the video stream from the event worked, without flash, and with great quality. It would be interesting to know how many people watched and what was the geographical coverage. It was a bit scary that when I closed all the Safari windows I could still hear Steve talking..

I hope Apple doesn't continue the billions and millions thing. Android covers so much bigger price-range that they will be bigger than iOS. It's also interesting that Apple is now telling more about the future versions of iOS -- they have to, Google is doing the same with Android. Waiting for the iOS 4.2 for the iPad. I hope Apple gets the iOS versions for the iPhone and iPad more in sync in the future.

New iPod Touch is a fine improvement. I don't really care about the camera and I've never had the need for an iPod Touch. I had it once but never used it for anything. I'll get one when there's an App that I want to use in the living room although an entry level iPad might win the game for that, too.

New iPod Nano is pretty cool, best of the new products. Too bad there's no 32G version, we use iPod nano mostly in the car so the user interface isn't enough to upgrade from 16G to 16G.

Never cared about the iPod Shuffle. We've had two, probably still have them somewhere, hardly never used.

New Apple TV is cute but but doesn't do much more than the current version. Streaming is ok, I do it all the time already with the Apple TV but a small cache for network glitches would be nice.

I don't think the iTunes Ping is going to be a success. People are on platforms like Facebook and I already get music suggestions there.

So sorry Steve, didn't order anything from the Apple Store. Actually I didn't even watch the show for more than 10 minutes.. and I was asleep before it ended :D

PS. The next time we're in the US or Hong Kong(* I probably get a new Nano and the Apple TV, the price premium for those two products in Europe is way bigger than for any other Apple products. *) Hong Kong has no sales tax and they seem to share the price level with the US. Plus you can buy plenty of cheap 3rd party add-on's there..

PPS. Also waiting for the fixed iPhone 4 next month, ready to book a trip to London in Oct/Nov for it. Sorry Steve, won't buy it from the local preferred carrier. They don't add value, the reduce it. I don't pay the media player taxes, buy DRM music or buy locked phones.

Sorry to see they took the camera out of the Nano. That was a great feature while skiing. I usually order something new at each release but have to admit I can't find anything I really want in this release. I was glad to see they kept the classic and the new touch doesn't have anything my iPhone does not have. Darn I was hoping for a new toy.