Summer Survey

amyb

Senior Insider
What books are you reading now and what was the summer of 2010's favorite read.

I am reading the historical 1776 by McCullough who did such a great job with JOHN ADAMS, HERZOG by Saul Bellow, EDEN CLOSE by Anita Shreve, and the last 200 pages of THE MISTS OF AVALON, this is slow going but a a lovely telling of the Camelot saga.

(I have bedroom, den and car books as well as a beach read going for me-too many books, too little time).

I just finished "The Lost City of Z" by David Grann.

Loved it.

Now I'm looking for another "adventure" read.

Suggestions?

Hi Dennis, That's usually Mike R's bailiwick-I am sure he can chime in himself with a small list for you.

Dennis said:

Loved it.

Suggestions?

At JEK suggestion I am reading Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer. Excellent read about Tillman and others glorified by the government as heroes. I thought Z was good too.

I think I may give this a look:

Over the Edge of the World: Magellan’s Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen

Duh-yesterday's NYT book section had a good review of a book about the Comanche Chief Quanah Parker-I can't swear I spelled it right, and I can not come up with the author's name, but it sounded real good.

amyb said:
Duh-yesterday's NYT book section had a good review of a book about the Comanche Chief Quanah Parker-I can't swear I spelled it right, and I can not come up with the author's name, but it sounded real good.

iJEK posted about that book. Look 4 posts down.

Dennis said:

Loved it.

Suggestions?

yeah I have plenty of suggestions..just be a little more specific..what kind of adventure?

Heard anything about this one:

Over the Edge of the World: Magellan’s Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe
Laurence Bergreen

You can read a bit of it on The Amazon
1283203090-Screen_shot_2010-08-30_at_5.17.17_PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen_shot_2010-08-30_at_5.17.17_PM.jpg
    Screen_shot_2010-08-30_at_5.17.17_PM.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 60
Amy- Mists Of Avalon is an old favorite. Bradley also wrote The Firebrand, which is a retelling of the Helen of Troy story.

Even more embarrassing, I put it on my reading list after JEK mentioned it. Oops, "sometimers" could be setting in.......