A Dozen Eggs for $8? Michael Pollan Explains the Math of Buying Local

JEK

Senior Insider
http://www.emailthis.clickability.com/et/emailThis?clickMap=viewThis&etMailToID=1776235126

Michael Pollan, author of "Omnivore's Dilemma" and other popular books, has become a figurehead for the local-food movement, which advocates buying in-season produce from nearby farms.

Proponents say such food is healthier and that the way it is grown and shipped is better for the environment. But it often is more expensive. Mr. Pollan says the real problem is that subsidies keep the prices of some, largely mass-produced foods artificially low. (Full article at the link above).

the trick is to live near the farms who produce the goods...Wendi just picked up our "share" at the organic meat farm this week and while there, got 3 dozen farm fresh eggs for 12 bucks....

dont know how they will ever figure out how to get fresh local produce and dairy and meat to the masses in the urban and suburban markets without it driving the costs up....

Easy to do in the season. We have a farmer's market that operates daily except Tuesdays all summer and fall. As the article says the Bay area is blest with produce all year long.
We also have an organic butcher in town - he even carries the Polyface Farm meats made famous in Polan's books.

Canning and freezing is the next best thing.....we are freezing beau coup amounts of corn and peas right now and will start to jar up tomatos soon

Qualty organically grown local food and massive large quantities at this point of the game is an oxymoron
Ironically it would be a disaster if eating locally grown organic foods suddenly became important to the masses who would want it..no way the farms could keep up with demand and thr price of produ0t would go through the roof

Kevin gets his share delivered to his door from the same farm in NH I buy from
because they went out and drummed up enough business in his area to justify them loading up a truck and delivering everyone their shares with out it costing an arm and a leg

They also have one or two local distribution points where people who live outside the delivery area can pick up shares.

Skeeter said:
Interesting topic.

But fruits and vegetables? I'm just not convinced.

Eat a tomato right off the vine.....bite into an apple ou just plucked off the tree....or grab a handful of blueberries from a bush....or grapes from a vine....grill an eggplant pulled from your garden that day

And get back to me

Because their is absolutely no comparison whatsoever to anything else........

I can't speak
For your mother in law or anyone elses garden bbut let me assure you there is nothing in a grocery store that is anywhere as good as my san marzano plum tomatos, my cherry tomatoes and my early girl tomatoes...and my apples will blow anything you get in a grocery store away.....gardening is a lot like fishing...just because everyone is doing the same thing doesn't mean everyone is having the same results

Yes we have vastly different parameters as to what constitutes a "foodie" and what defines good eats.....no argument there....LOL

we have lots of farms locally and I think pretty much across the board there's no comparison to a grocery store. And yes they charge more but it's worth it.

Skeeter said:
I have, MikeR. Mother-in-law's garden. The price is right!
I'm still not convinced that local is always better. That stuff is good, but different from the grocery store? It goes tomato by tomato.
No hard and fast rules.

no black line but if fresh local produce is available I get it. Is that a debate ?

Skeeter said:
Only on this forum can people get into a debate over whether there is a black line rule as to quality produce.

In the last two hours, I've learned that if I'm going to dine with MikeR or Creggers it is going to be on local produce, and if they dine with me cooking, unles it happens to come from the in-laws garden, I will neither know nor care where the produce comes from. But it sure will taste good.

OK, now that we've established those points, time to move on.

We all learn something everyday....I just learned you can go somewhere without your ego?

Skeeter said:
To be honest, I have no idea in the world what a "foodie" is or what the parameters of one might be.

All I know is when stuff tastes good. I walk into places without ego and if the food is good and the prices are reasonable, I come back. I don't get bothered by pretense or reputation. I'm not worried about having my feeling hurt for not being treated like the owner's best pal. At the same time, if the "critics" love it but the food doesn't do it for me [Zealous in Chicago, and to a lesser degree Taillevent in Paris are examples] I don't return. Taste and price -- that's all that matters to me. Produce a good tomato and I will cook with it. As Bourdain said, I don't care if it came from a neighbor's yard or was found after an experiment in the nuke lab at UC. As long as it tastes good.

Andy so was I..guess I should have out a smiley face at the end..Looks like he packed up his toys again and stormed out..

Andynap said:
We all learn something everyday....I just learned you can go somewhere without your ego?

LOL. I think Skeets was kidding. :p