The Wine Trials

CREGGERS

SBH Insider
http://www.thewinetrials.com/2009/10/29/hello-world/

?The Wine Trials 2010 recommends 150 wines under $15 that outscored $50-$150 wines in brown-bag blind tastings of the latest vintages
?Results were compiled, analyzed, and reviewed by a team of scientists including statisticians, neuroscientists, and economists
?More than two-thirds of tasters preferred a $12 Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut, a Washington State sparkling wine, to a $150 Dom Pérignon Champagne
?Author Robin Goldstein examines scientific evidence that wine actually tastes better when you know it’s expensive: “the taste of money,” revised and updated for 2010 to include the latest scientific research and a discussion of the controversial reaction to the first edition of The Wine Trials
?The book also includes a guide to conducting your own blind tastings

I have the original one that came out (2008?), I didn't know there was a 2011 edition.

this quote pretty much sums it up
"Author Robin Goldstein examines scientific evidence that wine actually tastes better when you know it’s expensive: “the taste of money,”

creggers said:
I have the original one that came out (2008?), I didn't know there was a 2011 edition.

this quote pretty much sums it up
"Author Robin Goldstein examines scientific evidence that wine actually tastes better when you know it’s expensive: “the taste of money,”

What scientific evidence and what is considered expensive??

the first line in the original post explains it.
Blind taste testings $100 bottles of wine vs.<$15 in a blind taste test.

That doesn't prove that $20 bottle are not just as good. And if it's blind how do they know which ones are expensive?? Doesn't make sense.

I dont remember the specifics of it all Andy because its been a while since I read the book...but it goes something like this.... in the book they talked about a study where some people are told they are about to drink a very expensive wine, when its actually a cheap wine, and some people can actually have sensory overload with that information which skews their perceptions and tastes....and if I remember correctly he was examining it all, not necessarily getting on board with it.....

and Creggers we drink that Chateau Domaine St Michele Sparkling Wine a lot and it is very good.....

do you enjoy the experience of drinking a $100 bottle of wine more than a $15 bottle in they are comparable quality ?

Boy- how to take the pleasure out of drinking wine.[/quote]

If you taste it and you like it, that's it! Go with it, sip it, be happy. For goodness sakes, there are more than enough wines and more than enough price points to keep everyone mellow.

it would prove that they taste as good. Bottom line if you tasted bottles of wine all with the labels hidden and some were costly & some that weren't you would rate some of the less expensive bottles higher then the $100 bottles.

Andynap said:
That doesn't prove that $20 bottle are not just as good. And if it's blind how do they know which ones are expensive?? Doesn't make sense.

I am saying it is a good everyday wine yes and I am also saying when I was hesitant about buying it Wendi laughed at me and told me they have been drinking boxed wines in France for quite some time now.....try it.....for everyday its great..28 bucks for the equivalent of four bottles.....and it doesn't turn when opened if it goes unconsumed