DeCaLiBron: Rocky Mountain High

JoshA

Senior Insider
Yesterday, my son and his girlfriend summited 4 peaks over 14,000 feet: Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross (hence DeCaLiBron). They started hiking at 5 am from a campground west of Alma and were done by 11 am. This is SOP to avoid possible afternoon summer storms. The pictures he sent were awe-inspiring and make me want to move back to Colorado. They are too good not to share. Here's one:

954600259_SSznr-XL.jpg

you're killing me...I've done a few 14 ers..not those though....Quandary is a good one right near by where they hiked....14 ers are the highest you can do in the lower 48 and quite an accomplishment..good for them!

Great pic. That land is incredible. That's why my wife leaves me at home in the summer -- she CAN go out there and stay awhile. And congrats to your son and SO. Four 14ers in a morning is quite a feat.

Mike, RT: Yeah, he's definitely living the dream. I've got a large poster with photos of all the Colorado fourteeners in my home office. My son has been going through the list. I've done a few including the most aerobically challenging one - Pikes Peak. You gain 8,000 feet in elevation from the start of the Barr trail to the peak. I took the cog railway down that day totally exhausted. The next year, my son ran up it during the Pikes Peak marathon weekend. Ah, youth!

Wendi and I actually had the "maybe we should move back to Colorado ski country" conversation the other day....something she was dug in and opposed to previously.....

baby steps

You mentioned Quandary, Mike. My son climbed that one too with skis. Last spring, he skied down that long slope you see from Breckenridge. I've actually skied Elbert from Independence pass in June when the pass was open, but he's planning on skiing it in the winter. Something else to worry about.

JoshA said:
You mentioned Quandary, Mike. My son climbed that one too with skis. Last spring, he skied down that long slope you see from Breckenridge. I've actually skied Elbert from Independence pass in June when the pass was open, but he's planning on skiing it in the winter. Something else to worry about.

Disregard this. I'm practicing.