A Confederacy of Dunces

Rosemary

Senior Insider
I just reread, for the zillionth time, a Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy O'Toole. Ignatius P. Reilly and his long suffering mother live in one of the poorer parishes of New Orleans. He is a pessimist. She is an optimist who is always certain Ignatius is "gonna made good, babe!" Maybe yes, maybe no. It is bittersweet and funny and I am always sorry when I come to the end.

Wow. Was I surprised to see one of my all time favorite books mentioned on the site. One of the few books I've re-read.

I would only add that I don't think you stressed enough how uproariously funny the book is. Forget "bittersweet" it's a howl. I'm looking at a blurb from the Washington Post on my copy ""A masterwork of comedy". If any on-liners have a sense of humor (LOL) seek out this fabulous book...which I see won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1981.

Have to go I'm meeting another on-liner for dinner in trendy Northern Liberties! Who could it be??

Jim

Okay! Forget bittersweet. It is screamingly funny. Oh! Patrolman Mancusos aunt!!! Claud!!! The Night of Joy!!! That does it-I'm reading it again. I am so glad you share my "worldview" as someone would write in his diary.

Have a great dinner.