What are you listening to right now?

I was just hanging out online with some of the (surviving) Motown and later players here in town. New topic was: "What's Your Favorite Bass Line That Starts A Song?" Five pages and going strong. I threw a couple curve balls. Yet, these folks have much better memories, experience and knowledge than I could ever aspire to. Kids, this is what happens when Friday dinner plans get cancelled. Kathy called it a night. I just rambled with some of the best. Just like here.

BTW. Your favorite bass or drum intros to a tune? Always powerful and memorable. IMHO.

:p

Long Road Out of Eden by the Eagles.

Resisted listening to them for 3O years. Just got tired of the Frey,Henley, Felder narcissism that led to their breaking up.

Was immediately blown away by the title track (any tune that has the lyrics "met the ghost of Ceasar on the Appian Way" has to be classic)and Joe Walsh's number. Nice Frey guitar bit after the title track. Some other typical Eagles tunes, some throw-aways.

The fact I've been spinning it for about a week says something. Good to have them back even if for a short while.

Ya can't go wrong with Joe Walsh (Amy & Phil - Joe is WB6A** ;) .) Frey is a former neighbor that I've met on plane trips before. Honest dude. IMHO.

mea culpa.. If you tuned in to this girlfriend singing. Ice pick in my eye I tell ya! Robert Randolp up a little later

Last night, it was New York Dolls, which morphed into Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers. I was in a maximum RnR mood...

I'm about to do a few processing runs (11 rolls from yesterday's model session) and need to decide on tunes. Probably my girl Susanna, or some Jackson Browne. Can't load film on reels to fast music...

I floated in the pool and napped to Buffett. Visions of Ti Punches danced in my head . . .

He is perfect for pool floating . . . nostalgic . . . island music . . . cheeseburgers . . . . coconut telegraph . . . . Autour de Rocher . . .

Hey... I do admire his lifestyle. I also think he's written a handful of good tunes. Generally, I think he's an average songwriter, with a mediocre voice. Nice guy, though...

JEK said:
I see him like I see a Marius Burger, not the best , but evocative.
OK. I can see that. He just doesn't evoke that in me. I do have about 6 of his albums...

BTW listening to Sinead OConnner

Eddie....JB writes about a lifestyle..a philosophy...an attitude......much of it is related to boaters...therefore boaters are and have been his biggest following...he writes so many lines that most people who work on land wouldnt understand, but boaters would..as one small example, in One Particular Harbor he sings "I used to rule my world from a payphone"....anyone who worked offshore pre cell phone and internet can totally relate to that line.... because when the boats would come in...the line at the pay phones would be astronomical so guys could call their loved ones and manage their "stuff" before they had to go back offshore.....and there are about a hundred more lyrics of his which, which subtle as some are, relate to boaters and island life ( living there, not vacationing there ), both of which have been a huge part of my life, and which I can totally relate to....

thats the appeal for me

one of the best JB concert moments for me was a show in Mansfield....he came out for an encore.....and this was a particularly out of control parking lot party and show..and he said....."If you are here on vacation let me hear it"..and a small percentage of people shouted and cheered...and he said..."well if you have plans to take in a whale watch or a fishing trip tomorrow...look around, because every Captain and every Mate from every boat is probably here tonight and they are probably the ones who were in our parking lot video earlier".....

eddie said:
He's way too big to just appeal to boaters.

I agree.. But I am going back to the original draw...the original fans...the ones who really got this whole thing going....the one draw that drew me as a 5 dollar additional charge to get into AstroWorld in Houston to see him...the ones who listened to him pick and strum in Select in the early 80's...it was boaters first..everyone after..which was his plan all along...well actually I think he thought it would be just a boat trash following.....surprise!!!