Auberge Petite Anse of Provincetown?

DaveM

SBH Insider
Anyone have a suggestion for simple lodging in Provicetown, MA? Never been; looking for the Auberge equivalent or so.

Beaches and scenery look magnificent on Google Earth.

Much thanks.

Dave

I sent you a PM....perhaps Theresa can weigh in on where she stayed which lOoked nice in an Auberge kind of way....when you get into town look me up on the wharf by the CeeJay and I will give you the scoop on dining and beaches...do NOT mniss a dinner at Front Street

Dave,

I've tried four places in Provincetown, the Masthead, the Provincetown Inn, the Cape Colony, and the Surfside. The Cape Colony and the Surfside are the only two that I've stayed at more than once, and my preference is the Surfside.

The best site for a list of the various types of accommodations is from the Chamber of Commerce.

We stayed at the Inn at the Moors, on the edge of town. Accomodations were simple and clean, and within walking distance to nightlife.

We enjoyed heading to the beach in the morning, and then enjoying a sunset cocktail at the pool before having dinner in town.

One evening, we broke out a bottle of champagne on the balcony and felt like were were all alone in the world.

If Auberge is your speed, Inn at the Moors will suit you fine.

Thanks to all. We'll start at the PTown Inn for a couple of nights and see where the experience (and availability) takes us from there . . .

Any beach suggestions? I'm mostly using Google Earth and it looks hard to go wrong.

Again, my thanks.

Dave

take the Flyers shuttle to Long Point beach...you cant get there unless you walk 3 miles or take the shuttle so the beaches are consequently fairly empty.....and Race Point Beach is nice in the morning...avoid Herring Cove Beach..its a zoo....

and don't miss dinner at Front Street!!!!!

Bubulas by the Bay is good..

Lobster Pot is a zoo but the Top of the Pot is a good bar for Happy Hour..

Townsend Seafood is excellent value nd great food....

Fanizzi's is a wonderful joint on the water in the East End....good food..great atmosphere

lots of tourists traps abound....this is my 25th summer here and also I lived here full time for 6 of those years so anything else??...fire away..there isn't much I dont know about this wonderful little seashore town like no other you will ever see...

Race Point Beach

1278428275-racepoint.jpg

Attachments

• racepoint.jpg
    racepoint.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30
among some of the biggest dunes in this country.....I know a really nice hike into the dunes that most tourists cant find if that is something you might be interested I will show you the very hidden entrance to it when you are here...

1278428751-dunes.jpg
1278429089-dunes2.jpg
1278429098-dunes3.jpg

Attachments

• dunes.jpg
    dunes.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 29
  • dunes2.jpg
    dunes2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 27
  • dunes3.jpg
    dunes3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 27
Wow; great pics, Mike and thanks . . .

If the schedule holds we'll try to pop in tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone for great suggestions. My wife, Vicki, and I just returned from our first visit to Provincetown. Wow - fantastic place! Beautiful beaches, compact, clean and seemingly safe - so walkable, abundant sophisticated restaurants and galleries, National Seashore views, can be done inexpensively, and reachable by car. A great tide-me-over destination for SBH fans.

Mike, sorry we missed you -- we stopped by a few times and hopefully Joanna gave you our Hello message. I didn't realize the Cee Jay was a boat; thought it was a store and meeting would be easier. We'll be back I am sure and do better next time. We did take most of your fun suggestions.

Beachcomber on the way up in Wellfleet -- a blast and beautifully set in the bluffs overlooking a dramatic and lively beach. Quick checkin at Ptown Inn, which was simple and just right for us. Front Street for dinner; delicious and packed.

Friday was a ride into town followed a bigger than expected bike ride through Race Point and herring Cove dunes - hot but scenic for sure. Pool restoreed us. Then Race Point beach for the afternoon - a classic beauty, with suprisingly clear blue-green water the likes of which I have not seen north of mid Keys, FL. A magnificent anchor to the whole of Ptown! Our first ever whale watching late afternoon with perfect sunset to boot; nine humpbacks showing off for a fascinating hour or so. Really fun. Tasty (and potent) drinks at Pepe's by the water then cozy dinner at Jimmys (michaels?) Hideaway. Another winner and not pricey. Dessert from a bakery across the street still open at 1130ish, then easy stroll home.

Next day fun lunch at hoppin' Fanizzi's (waterfront again) then back to Race Point for stormier yet fun conditions. Stroll to town again Sat eve for more drinks from Pepe's, then dinner can't recall the name, upscale french Italian in East end. Cool art and modern space not betrayed the white coloial exterior. Fun and ecelctic crowd.

Sunday was back to Wellfleet for a stormy but rockin day split between the beach and the Beachcomber cheering on Spain! This is quite a bar. Then on to friends in Barnsatble. What a difference between the Ptown area and the lower parts of the Cape. Really no comparison.

Can't wait to return, and once again, our thanks for all the suggestions that turned out so well for us.

Dave and Vic

Excellent!!..yes they told me you stopped by...I also understand you went whale watching on the Dolphin 8....a boat I used to run - now run by a fine young captain who was my 1st mate for many years on that very boat you were on...hope you had a great whale watch...

I am glad you loved our little seashore slice of heaven out here...its always nice to hear the views of the newbie to this place...

PS...I am banned from going to the Beachcomber unless I am with my wife...for very good reasons...loooooong history with that joint..LOL

one of the greatest seashore bars out there for sure

DaveM said:
A great tide-me-over destination for SBH fans.

totally agree.... coincidentally, I happened to say that in another thread today regarding living in the moment....but you risk getting publicly stoned to death for that comment in here.... :D :crazy:

If one created an index that measured outright fun, but also took into account other considerations such as cost, ease of access, etc. (perhaps we'll call it The Pleasure Index), Provincetown would be way, way high.

But it for us was more than a great combination of characteristics. The sheer compactness of the region really makes it feel like all of the various separate aspects (beaches, beach bars, boating, dining, charming downtown, shopping, art, music . . .) are still part of one simple-to-enjoy community.

I really can't think of anywhere in the East (lots in Europe), except maybe Charleston, SC, that has this at such a high quality level, yet also high ease-of-use and affordably.

Thanks, Andy -- good to know. Never been to Bar Harbor. Are there equal beaches with Beachcomber type restos on them in Newport? If so I may have to revisit as it's even closer for us.

And Mike, I forgot to mention the amazing seared tuna from very experienced Dave at the raw bar at the Beachcomber. Really . . . we've all had exceptionally good fresh tuna, but this was truly some of the best I've EVER had; and most unexpected in the party setting.

boy oh boy if you cant get fresh tuna here you are really in trouble...I get so much of it I get sick of it.....glad you enjoyed it....this town is ass deep in truly great fresh seafood 365/24/7

Newport and Bar Harbor are great choices as well and offer a lot, I truly love them both, but no where near the beaches we got here...