• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Trip Report / Observations

LMAC

Senior Insider
It's taken me awhile – we've been home almost a week! As you've seen here on the forum thanks to Rosemond & Elle we had a grand time in St. Barths with our kids ….. daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons. This was their fifth trip – four of them with us.

. As usual at this time of year the island was quite – kind of like the "olden days" ….. enjoyable! Weather at the beginning was awful …. lots of rain & low, dense clouds. BUT we had a grand time. A lousy day in St. Barths beats a good day at home any time! Have been looking at photos and have 10 days of heavy clouds with occasional sun and in a few photos – pouring rain. As a resident said -- I'm glad all the cisterns are full! Fortunately it cleared up for a few days for us and -- almost a week of good sun for the kids.

. We spent four lovely nights at Hotel Normandie before we joined our kids at Villa SOL (more later on that) – Wendy was there being the usual gracious hostess as well as Eula their very efficient new manager.

. I was totally unimpressed by Marche U (Match) …. granted this is the "off season" but the "deli" section was ¾ full – sufficient but …. . Lots of veggies & fruit (a nice change). But the shelves were 50% stocked --- lots of empty space. Second visit – looking for olive oil ….. who would think to put olive oil and mayonnaise, etc. etc. over the frozen food "bins" …… not to mention unreachable to anyone under 5'2" tall. The other thing I noticed was that most of their items were private label. I'm not one that needs American brands, but I would have liked an option or two.

. The Superette (AMG/AGM?) at the strip mall at the airport has been totally gutted ….. even down to the concrete sidewalk out front. In honor of this the other stores in Gustavia & L'Orient, etc. were having a 10% off sale. Ten percent is ten percent & I've always liked the store in Gustavia particularly for cheese & pates so I was happy -- they got our business.

. The undergrowth in the area adjacent to the cemetery in St.Jean has been cleared out …. could that be the location of the parking lot they are going to put in? If so – it would be great if they continue to leave the trees.

. Understand from David, manager at Nikki's that there will be beach reclamation on St. Jean – this time they will take the sand from out beyond the reef (before they did it inside the reef) – Unfortunately I didn't think to ask if that was both sides of the Eden Rock or just the Nikki side. Eden Rock, Niiki's and others are financing it. I have to imagine it will be both sides.

. If you have ever purchased any batik pareos, bed linens, table cloths made in St. Barths and sold at the little free standing shop in front of Andy's in St. Jean treasure it. That shop was closed/vacant in February but open in June and we went in to purchase a tablecloth – got the LAST one (and she threw in 13 napkins)! It is truly all gone! The shopkeeper told us there would be no more. The designs were fish and flowers and birds & went nicely with the Jean-Ives Froment wall tiles that we bought years ago and have installed as a backsplash in our kitchen.

. For those of you who remember Froment ….. originally a shop in Gustavia and then he moved out toward Colombier as I remember …… imagine my delight & surprise when our daughter showed up one morning in St. Barths in shorts & a t-shirt we'd bought her there years ago – so pretty and such nice soft material.

. Hopefully some other enterprising folks will come forth and make something on St. Barths like Froment and the batiks …….. hate to think those things are gone forever.

. Villa SOL – right on St.Jean beach – a perfect spot for families with kids. We've stayed there four times over the past eight years. Over the years the kitchen & both bathrooms have been re-done, recently two windows & two doors have been replaced. Otherwise ------- it's amazing it is still standing! Dry rot is everywhere. The windows that have not been replaced are old jalousie types and do not move – stuck in "mid-open". Cannot imagine the electric bill as two of the three bedrooms have half-open windows w/air conditioning! It does have decent furniture (well, except for bureaus …… all drawers stick & handles are missing – but it has bureaus!) and, as I said, perfect for kids – big yard – right on the beach - & a ping pong table! Have to wonder if it's not the only one on the island.

. Entertainment for kids: On the far end of St. Jean beach …… past Camp David …… in the water out past the dock (near where you can find sea turtles) you can find hermit crabs. We brought home eight of them along with some seaweed and some empty shells. Put them in a large glass bowl w/sand and seawater & some pieces of coral. The sand & water & seaweed were refreshed every day for almost a week. The boys (and I) watched them constantly …. they changed "houses" ……. one of them did it three times in the space of an hour. Several days before they left they returned them to the "hermit crab farm". If you do this - make sure some of the coral is above the water as they like to "come up for air".

. Had great meals at Andy's (of course), Saladrie, Le Piment, Nikki's (lunch), Tamarin (lunch & dinner – both EXCELLENT), Do Brasil, Bonito, Grain de Sal, Le Bistro. We did take photos but I'll leave the meal photo posting to Amy!

. I think our grandson summed it up ……. both kids had to write in a journal every day. The last day Dalton wrote …. "I don't want to go home" …… and drew a very large sad face.

Nice report, Libby! I hope someday to vacation as you did with my daughter, son-in-law, and their kids. It would be even better if my son joined us with whomever he brings along at the time. Sounds like you had a great and special time despite the weather.

Lance and Libby,

Glad you had a great trip and glad Gail and I had a chance to meet you, a beautiful couple!!

Sorry we couldn't meet up later in the week but we'll do it next time.

Great to meet you too - enjoyed our dinner. Nice also to see Mike R & his extended family. Sorry we didn't see others who were "on island".

I agree with your comments about Marche U. The fruits and veggies were nice the day we were there, but I heard from others that they weren't good on other days.

When we were there, there was only one bottle of olive oil (yes, we did know where it was from a search several trips ago), and it was Greek olive oil. The shelves were half empty. There was no tuna in oil. So, we shopped at L"Oasis the entire trip.

Agree also, MarcheU does not have the stock the Super Marche had. They have at best 50% of the cheeses that SM had. AMC in Gustavia by far has the best cheese and is well stocked.

I was also totally unimpressed with the new Marche U, I'd take Match any day next to it. We've settled into Le Minimart in Lorient and L'Oasis for what we need they are fine.

PeteSam said:
I agree with your comments about Marche U. The fruits and veggies were nice the day we were there, but I heard from others that they weren't good on other days.

When we were there, there was only one bottle of olive oil (yes, we did know where it was from a search several trips ago), and it was Greek olive oil. The shelves were half empty. There was no tuna in oil. So, we shopped at L"Oasis the entire trip.

Sounds like a good trip. The weather definitely wasn't the best but again beats home.

We were the couple that pasted you all nearly everyday with the Caps towels.

you should have stopped to say hello! When we yelled "CAPS, CAPS, CAPS" and you never responded we thought perhaps you were staying in a villa that had those towels and you had no clue! Hope you had a grand time.

We smiled and waved guess you missed it. We aren't real loud people. We had a great time always do though. Not happy to be back home dealing with jobs and real life but that is how it is going to be until I win the lottery and can retire down there. Might help if we played but probably not much.

The Caps is the short name for the local hockey team the Washington Capitals. The game give away one year was a pair of beach towels. They are really thin but still rather large which is nice for packing carry on. We managed 10 days this year packed carry on and still over packed.

don't the places you stay on the island provide beach towels?

but always nice to root for the home team!

Hey Libby, sounds like a really great family trip....sorry we missed you! It was gfreat to come home to 90 degree -plus weather......the ocean was at least 88, when we were there a few weeks ago, how wonderful!!!!! I'm sure your grandkids loved it!!!!! :)

libby...your trip sounds delightful. anytime spent with kids and grandkids is a fun time!

i love that you yelled at michaelB as he passed by....that is definitely something i would do!

thanks for sharing your report and, btw: your family is beautiful!!!

They do provide beach towels but only one pair. It is nice to have a second set when the pair they give out is wet.

It was nice to run into you guys at Petit Anse and then again on St Jean.....looks like you had a great time...how can you not?

thanks for sharing

we have stayed at SOL as well, and every visit I am always amazed when I walk down there that is hasnt been replaced by a mega villa...yet.
There arent too many left on st jean to replace

We heard a story in February from a "local" that the Russian who owned the yacht "A" had tried to buy that property on St. Jean beach - owner said no. He upped the price several times (topped out at 30 M Euros) and the owner still said no. I was delighted to hear that the owner would not sell. However, when you see that he has put very little money into maintenance you wonder what his plans are. It is indeed a shame when older properties are demolished to build newer (always bigger) ones --- whether it's St. Barths or your own neighborhood.