Think (and hold it) differently

JoshA

Senior Insider
Don't hold iPhone 4 that way, Apple says

'Avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band,' Apple says. Users have found that cradling the iPhone in their hand can cause loss of signal.

June 26, 2010|By David Sarno and Mark Milian, Los Angeles Times

A day after users discovered that cradling Apple Inc.'s new iPhone in your hand may interfere with its antenna and cause it to lose its signal, the company has suggested a solution:

Don't hold it that way.

Apple said that some loss of signal from gripping a handset is "a fact of life for every wireless phone," and that if it happens on the new iPhone, users should "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band."

Or if you prefer, the company suggested, "simply use one of many available cases."

Apple redesigned the phone so the steel frame around the handset doubles as its antenna. The left side of the frame is used to broadcast a cellular signal; the right side is for other bands, such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

As a result, people who tend to hold their phone in the left hand may be plagued by the signal problems more than those who hold the phone in their right hand.

Though Apple says every mobile phone has similar issues, it's not a phenomenon the gadget experts at ISuppli Corp. have seen before. That's because nearly all smart phones — including earlier iPhone models — have the cell antenna packaged inside the case, along with the circuitry.

But Apple's plan for wrapping the antenna around the phone was to boost its cellular performance, according to comments from Chief Executive Steve Jobs at the phone's unveiling this month.

Gripping the lower part of the phone may interfere with a piece called a radio frequency ground plane, which helps amplify the phone's cell connection. That piece, said ISuppli hardware analyst Kevin Keller, is susceptible to electrical currents — even those from contact with human skin.

Some bloggers quickly ridiculed Apple's response by assembling dozens of images from Apple promotional materials showing actors holding the phone in a way that appeared to be different from what Apple now recommends.

"Apple, you're holding it wrong," read a caption for an image that a blogger posted Friday.

1277732642-Screen_shot_2010-06-28_at_9.43.18_AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen_shot_2010-06-28_at_9.43.18_AM.jpg
    Screen_shot_2010-06-28_at_9.43.18_AM.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 55
Apple's iPhone 4 Antenna Glitch: 10 Reasons for Consumers to Push Back

From: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and...10-Reasons-for-Consumers-to-Push-Back-390866/

By: Don Reisinger
2010-06-29

News Analysis: Apple has committed several blunders in the way it has handled the iPhone 4 and its antenna problems. And now it's time for customers to think twice about letting the hardware company get away with it.

Since June 15 when Apple first offered the iPhone 4 for pre-order, the company has made several wrong moves. It started when Apple decided to allow AT&T to control the iPhone's pre-ordering process.

By doing so, it left a key component in the purchase of the iPhone in the hands of a company that did an extremely poor job of handling orders. From there, the trouble continued. When news broke that the iPhone 4 featured antenna problems, Apple said that consumers should simply hold the device in a different way to cut down on reception problems. It simply failed to make things right from the get-go.

That's extremely unfortunate. As one of the most beloved companies in the tech industry, Apple has a responsibility to address issues the right way. It might not be fair, considering so many other companies sweep issues under the rug, but that's the problem with being the world's most valuable tech company.

When the smaller, less important companies ignore problems, no one cares. But when Apple does it, the company is expected to respond with the right solution. But so far, it hasn't. And consumers are left to wonder why Apple, the company they have had so much respect for, is leaving them out in the cold.

Of course, wondering about that won't do any good. The time has come for consumers to finally stand up to Apple and hold it accountable. Here's why:

1. It'll never change

Apple has shown time and again that until it feels pressure for the issues its product has, the company will do nothing to address them. As unfortunate as that is, it's reality. And until consumers start forcing the company to be accountable for its products' problems, it won't change its tune. Luckily, making Apple accountable isn't all that difficult. Consumers need to voice their opinions in as many forums as possible. They should also consider alternative products if they feel Apple isn't listening to them. The best way to make Apple listen is to vote with wallets.
Resource Library:

2. The ego is annoying

By taking Apple's poor treatment all these years, consumers have effectively allowed the company to have an ego. Unlike just about every other firm that fully understands what it takes to appeal to customers, Apple has the luxury of not really caring. And that general lack of care comes through in the decisions in continues to make. By calling Apple out on those problems, consumers change that. Apple's ego has allowed the company to believe that no matter what it does, consumers will keep coming back. That will only change if they're shown that the past won't necessarily predict the future.

3. Where's the care?

Perhaps the main reason why consumers should stop taking Apple's treatment is because the company just doesn't seem to care. When faced with complaints over antenna problems, Apple CEO Steve Jobs said consumers should simply stop holding the smartphone as they normally have. The company said in an official statement that consumers should release the death grip or find a case. By showing such a lack of care on Apple's part, consumers are being backed into a corner. If they finally stop taking Apple's poor treatment, the company will have no choice but to start caring.

4. Microsoft doesn't get a pass

In the tech business, Apple gets a free pass for many of the mistakes it makes. But Microsoft is one firm that gets beaten up over the slightest infractions. Even when the company has done nothing wrong, critics come out to pan its actions. It's rather unfortunate. And it's about time Apple is held to the same standard as Microsoft. Yes, Steve Jobs is a flashier CEO and Apple delivers better products than Microsoft, but that doesn't mean that it can't be wrong. If Microsoft gets pummeled when problems arise, shouldn't Apple get the same treatment?

5. Apple should know there are alternatives worth considering

Apple seems to believe that no matter how much trouble its products might have, the company is in no danger of losing those customers to a competitor. It should be made abundantly aware of the fact that there really are alternatives available right now that can do a fine job of appealing to consumer desire. One such alternative is Google's Android OS. The operating system might not have the polish iOS boasts, but it's awfully close. And if consumers start picking up more Android-based devices because of problems with the iPhone 4, Apple will need to take notice.

6. It's time to try something new

If nothing else, Apple's handling of the iPhone 4 antenna problems show that consumers need to try something new to get Apple to start caring more about them. In the past, simply ignoring the company's faults because its products were so nice might have been fine for some folks. But that mentality has contributed to the issues customers are having today. Apple is simply expecting history to repeat itself, and customers, so far, are allowing that to happen. It's time to speak out and try something new. It's a worth shot, right?

7. Apple should set the standard, not detract from it

Apple is the most important tech company in the industry. It not only has brought the tech sector to the mainstream in a major way, it has ensured that going forward, well-designed and desirable products will be making their way to store shelves. It has set the standard in software and hardware design. Perhaps that's why customers should take issue with the company. Apple is supposed to be the standard-setter, not the company that doesn't live up to its end of the bargain with consumers. As nice as Apple's products are, the hardware company should handle situations like this just as effectively as it creates smartphones.

8. It's good for Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs is one of the more interesting CEOs in the tech business. Unlike so many other executives who like to stay in their office and out of the limelight, Jobs thrives on praise being heaped on his company. Any chance he gets, he takes the stage to deliver all the good news Apple wants to share with the world. He has basically created an image and star-like status that no other CEO has been able to muster. But maybe he needs to be taken down a little too. He might have the vision that no other CEO has, but he's not infallible. And as his recent decisions have proven, there is work to be done. It's about time consumers remind him of that.

9. It will happen again

Rest assured that without making a fuss over the iPhone's antenna troubles, there will be more problems with the company's devices. If nothing else, Apple's antenna design problems were overlooked by the company simply because it knew that it wasn't big enough for customers to stop buying the iPhone. But what other simple quirks will find their way into future Apple devices? If customers don't make Apple know that the antenna problem is much bigger than the company wants to admit, they will have a hard time limiting such problems in the future. This is a test for consumers. And it's up to them to respond.

10. It hurts late adopters

If nothing else, consumers should put pressure on Apple today to help those late adopters that will be affected by the iPhone's problems at some point in the future. In every tech release, early adopters pick up devices first. They are not concerned with potential problems and freely accept them if they arise. But late adopters wait until they believe, the device is ready to be purchased. If early adopters turn a blind eye to the iPhone's woes, late adopters will be forced to deal with the same problems when they get their hands on the product. Customers should stick together. That means looking out for those that have yet to get an iPhone.

A tempest in a teacup. 1.7M sold in the first 3 days and probably double that by now. BTW, my signal strength is great no matter how I hold this gleaming hunk of beauty.

I agree I carry BB and iPhone 4 both have same signal. This type of complaining always happens when the company is #1. I love mine.

uEZ1b.jpg

I don't this wouldn't have popped up so big if it wasn't an issue for some folks or areas. The 3G antenna stuff is far more compilicated than 1 and 0, or 0 to 5 bars.

Geez. Just implant the damned thing in the back of my head with auto updates enabled. I'll be as cranky as ever. Honest.

BTW. BIG ISSUE. All these folks in the USA are rabid about this new "phone."

QUESTION!! Will they vote this November to keep their rights to have the right to... Too many folks are ignoring the fact that these elections mean a lot. It's not just about re-electing a noble president last year. It's about keeping some sanity and finding something that works for all of us. Saying "no" is a big no. It's us that we want them to represent.

Hey Mods. Redirect to appropriate thread. Thanks! I gotta get back to real work.

Voosh said:
Hey Mods. Redirect to appropriate thread. Thanks! I gotta get back to real work.

Why? You post so indiscriminately that it makes no difference :)

:crazy:

I do care. ALWAYS.

My wife and I had a semi-argument about if Brenda Lee or Patsy Cline did a certain tune first. I won. We agreed it was darned good fun. We're happy.

July 2, 2010

Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Dear iPhone 4 Users,

The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Apple’s history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.

At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?

We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Apple

Interesting to see how it performs when I get back home next week.

iPad and iPhone 4 are quite easily available here in Hong Kong although neither is officially sold here yet, about 15-20% premium in the price. I paid way too much for the camera connection kit, not to mention it seems to be piece of crap. Plenty of iPhone 3 and iPad accessories from a few dollars/euros a piece, but just a few for the iPhone 4 yet. Bought a load to make it easier to sell the 3GS..

People seem to have very mixed brand phones and the norm is unsubvented phones.

Initial verdict is poor (similar to the iPod camera connection kit) but the jury is still out, probably works better with P&S as intended. Posting to Facebook works fine through the Facebook App but I'm not sure if there's a way to post e.g. here on SBHOnline.

I hope Apple will officially open the USB for other use as well.

Anyway, my first not so Apple-ish experience was as follows:

First I connected my CF reader to it (Sandisk Extreme with Sandisk Extreme IV Compact Flash card). Previews look fine and it even recognized that I had shoot in RAW+JPEG mode. I clicked Import All and after a dozen or so photos there's an error that the attached accessory uses too much power. Bad luck, one cannot charge the iPod and use the camera connector kit at the same time. Ok, using a memory card isn't quite the recommended way to use it.

Next I connect the iPad directly to the camera. Looks ok with the previews and even gives an option to skip the duplicates with the import. However after a few dozen photos the Photos App crash.

Third try is a charm and it eventually manages to import all the photos. However now I have three separate events in the Photos library, all with identical "2 Jul 2010" name. For some reason the Skip Duplicates option didn't work quite well, there are several duplicates in the library or perhaps the JPEG+RAW issue created some confusion. I wonder if there's a way to see the EXIF details..

The big problem, which I did know about, is lack of decent workflow. With a laptop, every day I copy all the photos from the camera to two hard drives, either two external or external + internal. The internal memory on the iPad isn't sufficient when you shoot RAW on a 21 megapixel camera, including occasional FullHD video. Technically one could do it (jailbreaked iPad already works with external hdd) but right now, Apple doesn't allow it. Without this issue I could have left the netbook home.

But the photos do look stunning on the iPad screen!

From http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/lets-try-to-make-sense-of-the-death-grip-problem/

July 2, 2010, 4:35 pm
Let’s Try to Make Sense of the “Death Grip”

Whoa. Just unbelievable.

Apple has finally announced that it’s going to do something about the iPhone 4’s antenna issues—but you might not like it. (As you may recall, many iPhone 4 owners, when holding the phone so that it covers the black gap at the lower left portion of the stainless-steel band , see their AT&T signal-strength bars visibly drop.)

Here’s what the Apple statement says:

“Some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band–the so-called Death Grip. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design…

“Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.”

O.K., what!?

Apple is saying that it’s been calculating how many bars to display incorrectly for years, both on the iPhone 4 and other iPhones.

Look, I don’t know where the truth lies. I’ve read everything there is to read on the antenna issue: Antenna experts who say that Apple never should have built an external antenna. Software experts who say that the signal-dropping problem is just a cosmetic glitch. Computer-magazine testers who say that all phones exhibit this problem, but just hide it better. And iPhone owners who say everything from “Apple should be sued” to “I can’t reproduce this problem no matter what I try” to “it depends on where you’re standing.”

On one hand, the number of bars has always been an iffy, unreliable metric. Everyone has experienced a dropped call even when the phone shows four or five bars. So if Apple thinks it can make the bars more accurately represent the bad news about your current AT&T reception, well, good.

On the other hand, you can’t help noticing that Apple’s solution—rewriting the algorithm that displays bars—is a win for, well, Apple. It doesn’t have to recall anything. It doesn’t have to offer free silicone “bumper” bands to cover the edges of the phone (which instantly fixes the dropping-bars problem). And by asserting that the iPhone has been exaggerating your actual signal strength for years, Apple is basically passing a big bite of the reception-weakness buck to AT&T.

On the other other hand, Apple steadfastly maintains that despite all of the hooplah and controversy, the iPhone 4 still gets better reception than previous iPhones. And sure enough, over and over again, testers, customers and reviewers report being able to make calls in familiar spots where they never could before. I’ve seen it, too.

The whole thing is a forehead-slapper. Reaction online is all over the map, a lot of is cynical:

“No way am I believing that. Not naive enough!” (@rajivvarma)

“We should be glad this isn’t a hardware hardware issue, or this could be much worse. Fixing software is far easier than a recall.” (@morsel_info)

“I can’t say I’m surprised. I’m always getting poor reception or failed calls with 5 bars on the display.” (@marnen)

Now, in the end, you won’t be stuck with a phone with reception you’re not happy with; Apple is offering refunds to anyone who wants to return the iPhone 4 within the first 30 days.

But good lord. This one’s going down in the history books—or at least the one called, “Weirdest Consumer Tech Bumbles, 1980-2010.”

Such a joke..

The Apple church will take the explanation as truth for sure. Why wait several weeks for the update? Perhaps to include new baseband code to take into consideration the changes in antenna impedance. Suddenly it works!

Any antenna expert can tell how difficult such an open metal antenna is, they told it before iPhone4 was even shipping, and most people have touched a radio or TV antenna to know it too (Voosh..). 3G antenna stuff is actually pretty complicated. No doubt one can interfere with the reception on most phones but I don't remember any phone over the last two decades when the antenna would have been so touchable. Exactly the type of R&D companies like Nokia and Motorola have been doing a long time.

As an iPhone 4 owner of course my wish is that they fix the problem -- and cuts the bs.

Hey! What's that you say? I just wrap my head in tinfoil and stand outside during a thunderstorm. Great reception.

Sounds like someone at Apple missed the first day of Antennas 101 class. My old Nokia flip phone gets better reception than my wife's latest greatest.

Bzzzt. Zap. Huh? What? :p

Voosh,

I've actually had an education in aluminum foil, obtained from a bankrobber who was arrested within the week by the FBI.

What I learned is that the first thing that you have to worry about is whether they're sucking the thoughts out of your head, or beaming new ones in. It makes a difference on which way you fold the aluminum foil - shiny side in, or shiny side out. Those who are particularly masterful can fold up an aluminum foil hat that covers both.

Re: "Those who are particularly masterful can fold up an aluminum foil hat that covers both."

That's the secret. Don't tell anyone.

"They're coming to take me away. Ha. Ha. Hee. Hee."

(And yes, I just dug up the album with that song and Kathy is ready to shoot me as it's playing. I guess I'll stop since she is a much better shot than me at close range. Very precise at close range. I offered "Monster Mash" as a peace offering. She simply asked "which brain lobe do you want to lose now?" I'm going back to some real work now.)

1278143479-cia.jpg

The Very Hot Weather Warning is now in force. Hot weather might cause adverse health effects.

Attachments

• cia.jpg
    cia.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 65