Roy Orbison, again

Voosh

Senior Insider
Sitting minding my own business. Had the local PBS station on a monitor - pledge week, etc. (Disclaimer, we contribute.) They were replaying some old "Big O" stuff. OMG. Again.

Plopped in the live CD. I've replayed "Pretty Woman" three times. CLASSIC. Bruce and Burton going head to head on guitars (IMHO, Burton is da man.) Scheff on that rock solid bass. And oh so much more. Oh, did I forget? Roy Orbison - WOW!

Yeah, I get distracted. So what. This is darned good.

Love that stuff too, George. I also get carried away and find myself singing and tapping and "dancing" in the kitchen when that's playing. Just can't stop movin'! Amy

Re: oy Orbison, again

Black + white nights pops up on public TV a lot.

Arranged and conducted by elvis costello. Springsteen playin guitar. KD lang, bonnie rait and some other chick whose name I always forget singing backup....amazing music.

sorry, t bone burnett, not Elvis...

<<<The special consisted of a performance of many of Orbison's hits at the Ambassador Hotel's Coconut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles, taped on September 30, 1987, approximately a year before his death. Three songs, "Blue Bayou", "Claudette", and "Blue Angel", were taped but not included in the original broadcast due to time constraints.

Put together by musical director T-Bone Burnett, Orbison was accompanied by a supporting backing band which included many notable musical performers. All were fans who volunteered to participate in the special.[citation needed] Other celebrity admirers of Orbison were in the audience, including Billy Idol, Patrick Swayze, Sandra Bernhard, and Kris Kristofferson. The backing band was the TCB Band, which accompanied Elvis Presley from 1969 until his death in 1977: Glen D. Hardin on piano, James Burton on lead guitar, Jerry Scheff on bass, and Ronnie Tutt on drums. Male background vocalists, some of whom also joined in on guitar, were Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, and Steven Soles. The female background vocalists were k.d. lang, Jennifer Warnes, and Bonnie Raitt. During the end credits, several of the band members are shown talking about how Orbison influenced them.

The song "Oh, Pretty Woman" from this performance, which features dueling guitar solos between Springsteen and Burton, was nominated for a Grammy Award for best live performance. Re-released as part of a CD bearing the same title as the motion picture, the song won the 1991 Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.

The audio from this special was released as an album by Virgin Records in 1989, titled A Black & White Night Live.>>>

coincidentally, played a bunch of it Sat nite for some dinner guests that are fans...

Love "Uptown"

My favorite part, besides the incredible music, is how all the big music names left their egos at the door and kicked it out for Roy Orbison. Like I said - Wow!

Yes, T Bone Burnett produced. But, I believe Elvis Costello got it all together. Joint effort.

My that was fun-I will dance out to my car and head off to work now. Thanks for that!

CD source, followed by DVD source. And, yes, I have some incredible vinyl by him.

1276606994-Orbison1-002.jpg

1276607122-Orbison1-003.jpg

Attachments

• Orbison1-002.jpg
    Orbison1-002.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Orbison1-003.jpg
    Orbison1-003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 62