YOUR NEW COLLEGE GRADUATE: A PARENTS’ GUIDE

Interesting. We did things a little different. Here were our house rules for our three boys;

They had to have their first job BEFORE graduation.

On the day they graduated, they became "financially liberated". No more money from Mom and Dad.

They could live in the house for one year, during which time they paid rent and actively began looking for their own place.

The result. All three now are married with families of their own, own houses and cars, and are of course gainfully employed in the family business. BTW, the rule for the family business was 2-3 years of outside work experience before joining.

The boys didn't like it at the time, but all three have since come to us and said thank you for the firm push into adulthood.

Phil

phil62 said:
Interesting. We did things a little different. Here were our house rules for our three boys;

They had to have their first job BEFORE graduation.

On the day they graduated, they became "financially liberated". No more money from Mom and Dad.

They could live in the house for one year, during which time they paid rent and actively began looking for their own place.

The result. All three now are married with families of their own, own houses and cars, and are of course gainfully employed in the family business. BTW, the rule for the family business was 2-3 years of outside work experience before joining.

The boys didn't like it at the time, but all three have since come to us and said thank you for the firm push into adulthood.

Phil

Similiar here...5 kids; and not that this would work for anyone else:

- After you graduate from High School, come Sept you are either in a dorm, or paying for your own apt.

- You have 4 years to graduate from college...and that includes the summers; so, if you need them, use them.

- After the first semester, you have to average a 3.0...if not probation for 1 semester; if still not, get a loan.

- We will pay for the entire college as long as you meet the restriction right above.

- If you want to move off campus, we will pay for what it would cost you to live on campus...if it costs more, get room mates.

- If you want a Masters, check out the Student Loan Program--great rates!

There were more, but I am sure you get the picture. It worked for us...1 Business College, 1 VT Hokie, 1 UT Longhorn, 2 T A&M Aggies...and we recommended that they all consider the family business--military, as a way of finding out what they really wanted to do. In the end, only 1 daughter went the DoD route as a Civilian--still at it.

Nope...but that was their choice. Just like when they say that it is unfair that the Mrs and I get to retire from the military after "only" 20 years...that was their choice too. But I will tell you that cooking is the Mrs and my favorite thing to do together...most of our kids still eat cereal for breakfast, and sandwiches for their other meals. Also, they are very respectful and appreciative of our service...that is always nice.