• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Bonjour! To follow up on a past post, I am wondering if anyone has any new update on the Dengue/Mosquito problem. I have been reading the "science" b

davesmom

Senior Insider
Dengue Fever redux

Bonjour! To follow up on a past post, I am wondering if anyone has any new update on the Dengue/Mosquito problem. I have been reading the "science" behind Deet, and looked up Mosquito Milk: the Deet sounds useful, and I am wondering about the effectiveness of Mosquito Milk with the 20% deet content and the geranium oil. I am a bug magnet and really do not want this disease that I have been reading about. It really is nothing to trifle with and I guess there is a deadly version of dengue and a not so deadly version, from what I can tell. I thought the rainy season was over in SBH..apparently not. If you use Mosquito Milk, how much and how often do you put it on? I remember that it can be bought at Black Swan..anywhere else? L'Oasis?
Merci pour toutes vos reponses en avance,
Davesmom

Mosquito Milk is available in all of the grocery stores too. I usually roll a stripe down my legs and arms in the morning, again around dusk, and more often if I'm being pestered.

Thanks, everyone. I will look for it in SBH. I think I will bring some American repellent, also. I will go by REI to see what they have; Sawyer was mentioned. I looked at a bunch of medical sites around the world and they recommend a product with 25-50% Deet but not over that. That Mosquito Milk really sounds interesting since you do not have to cover yourself. I am guessing that you reapply after swimming/sweating (of course girls never sweat..!). Boy, I really hate bug bites...how are the no see ums down there? Does the Mosquito Milk keep them away??
Merci!! One week and counting!!

How about that Bug Zapper Racket? We're leaving in three days, and I forgot to order that thing online. It looks very effective. Any retail stores that you know of that carry it? Is it available on the island?

Thx,

rob

Re: Dengue Fever redux

davesmom said:
Merci pour toutes vos reponses en avance,
Davesmom

OK, keep the arrows in your quiver..."merci d'avance" is always OK; "merci par avance" is OK; "en avance" means something entirely different, and is not used in conjunction with "merci".
Voilà

You are correct; sorry for going fast! Merci d'avance pour vos réponses. I don't really know what "merci en avance" implies..obviously something not good? And what do you mean by the arrow in the quiver stuff??

Are you referring to expression which means "to have an advantage over someone" as in a competition or being out to get someone?

The bug zapper racquets are for sale at various places on the island. Two that I know of for sure are the Pharmacie in Gustavia not far from Le Repaire & the Pharmacie directly across from the airport. They cost less than 10 euros.

Dengue Fever redux

I've bought "Skeeter Rackets" at the gas station in St Jean and at the Oasis grocery.

davesmom said:
You are correct; sorry for going fast! Merci d'avance pour vos réponses. I don't really know what "merci en avance" implies..obviously something not good? And what do you mean by the arrow in the quiver stuff??
No, DM, I didn't mean anything sinister at all and was only trying to be helpful. I was a bit apprehensive of being attacked for correcting your French...sometimes things are taken the wrong way, and especially in text, non-verbal communication.
Je vous fais mes amitiés :)

Pas de problème! I certainly would not like to insult anyone by using the wrong preposition! Or worse, engender enmity where there was cause for none!

Thanks Julia and Kevin for the info on where to buy the bug zapper rackets. I did manage to find a local Ace Hardware that ordered it from their warehouse with the hope it'll be in on Monday. If not, I'll check out the places you mentioned. Having one will be an added weapon against those skeeters. OTW, hoping DEET will do the trick without killing us. haha

Thanks again!

Rob

KevinS said:
I've bought Skeeter rackets at the gas station in St Jean and at the Oasis grocery.
How sweet of you, I bet Skeeter and his wife appreciated the gift and your concern for their health.

Bzzzzzz

(For 99.99% mere mortals it's fine. It's when it gets you - it gets you. Then, on the isle, they know how to deal with it.)