Thread: Great TV- trying to get kids in a school in West Virginia to eat healthy- a losing proposition so far. None of the kids knew where french fries or chicken nuggets came from.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,945

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Great TV- trying to get kids in a school in West Virginia to eat healthy- a losing proposition so far. None of the kids knew where french fries or chicken nuggets came from.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

absolutely love this show...have always loved Jamie Oliver..loved his cooking show on Food TV..he is a HUGE eat only fresh local food proponent....recording it tonight because we got a movie
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2004 Helsinki, Finland Posts: 7,968
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

Worth watching.

I like to think "eat smart". If ther are a tomatoes growing in a heated greenhouse with artificial lights, while it's -20 C / -4 F outside, the tomatoes are fresh and they are local but they definetly aren't smart. Most food is best when they're local and native, some foods are ok for the transport, and some foods just shouldn't be done artificially locally. The transport may well be more green than trying to cultivate and grow on a bad land and/or in a wrong place.

It's a bit like once you've had a steak in Argentina, you feel like a vegetarian elsewhere ;-)

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    I agree...I am so sick of the tasteless hot house tomatoes and cucumbers we get in the winter from God knows where....next month will start the new cycle of local farm fresh available veggies, which will go right through to November...plus what we grow....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix