UPS Gearing Up For “Huge Wave” Of iPad Deliveries Saturday http://bit.ly/bG5gXC #apple

Re: UPS Gearing Up For “Huge Wave” Of iPad Deliveries Saturday

When is the last time IBM, or Dell or HP or Acer or Microsoft had UPS in a tizzy?

I didn't recognize most of the names. IBM still doing computers or did they sell that to Jay Lenovo's company. And HP they make Printers right. :laugh:

Over here one could ask when did the UPS deliver on a saturday ;-)

I think Apple deliveries have been mostly TNT here..

Petri, We are lucky to even get them to deliver Monday - Friday here. I never use them. I would be more confident if Fedex was shipping.

UPS still shows my IP in China. Clearly they have subcontracted these deliveries to Santa Claus.

Having tracked dozens of orders from Apple from China over the years this is not the norm. It's hard to believe Apple could get UPS to do this, so it must be the usual UPS poor service.

I ran a UPS hub in another life. Peak season we ran 70K pkgs per hour through a "medium sized" facility.

I can assure you that the delivery of Ipads will not put UPS in a tizzy.

If I can remember correctly, 20 years ago we were handling 10 million pkgs per day. UPS was much smaller and way less technical then.

RickyG said:
If I can remember correctly, 20 years ago we were handling 10 million pkgs per day. UPS was much smaller and way less technical then.

2009 delivery volume 3.8 billion packages and documents
Daily delivery volume 15.1 million packages and documents
Daily U.S. air volume 2.2 million packages and documents
Daily international volume 2.0 million packages and documents

3.8 billion / 365 days = 10.4 million a day. 15.1 packages during Mon-Fri is closer to 3.8 billion a year.

There's probably a huge difference between deliveries during the week and weekends, so 200-300,000 packages during the weekend probably shows up in the statistics as a spike. Yeah, doesn't trouble UPS that much but they may need to add a few extra delivery vans for the weekend.

Does UPS do Saturday deliveries now?

FedEx has screwed me a few times. If I need it now, I have it UPSed to the local depot (just a few miles from us.) No problem.