Once in awhile we are reminded of how uncertain life is. Family having the vacation of their lives till it turned tragic. http://www.vaildaily.com/a

Dick,
That is so very sad....my kids finally got helmets as teens, but if you go on the wrong path.....
Now I still have to worry about my son, who turns 27 next week..... as I look at his photos on facebook, and he was in BC Canada, doing backcountry skiiing.....luckily they gave him a short visa, because he has everything he needs to live out of his truck with him....and the border guys thought he was moving to Canada, so he had to be out by a certain date!
Meanwhile, he is driving(and ferry) to Alaska in April, to take an AMGA course, and then lead a private trip ( through RMI ) up MT. McKinley!
Sooo, Mt. life continues.....and all this after he broke his leg in 2 places, as a teen.....going into the trees!!!!! I think he learned to never do that again, by school, experience and guidance.

Tragedy in Beaver Creek

he will be fine.....if you break down the mountain deaths, the overwhelming majority die from not being equipped properly or being in over their head in terms of types of terrain....two things I doubt would be relevant to your son........this girl was a beginner skier on an intermediate trail who fell backwards, but whose skis were still in contact with the snow, and lacked the ability to remedy that....

my son did death defying out of bounds terrain on his snowboard and never got a scratch...and then got killed in a freakin amusement park...go figure.....when your number is up..its up.....end of story

We have a "heli-ski club" among our friends.

One guy became a founding member a few years ago, didn't break anything but the knees were pretty loose. He's going skiing to Austria this weekend, first time since the heli-ski membership..

Another friend managed to break his leg in three pieces a few weeks ago in Switzerland and joined the club. The swiss hospitals work like a clock for these things and if you're lucky, you get a nice room with a stunning Alps view -- better than at the chalet.

Experienced skiers but sh_t can happen. And most people don't realize that they're not as agile as they were 15-20 years ago..