• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Le Petit Journal de Mikey et Margot

Mikey

SBH Insider
The first of a few dispatches from our little slice of heaven. We missed coming last year. The economy, the Euro, etc. conspired to force us to look elsewhere. We went to Turks and Caicos, rented a lovely villa and had a very nice time, thank you...but it ain't St. Barth.

We arrived yesterday. Super connection from AA667 to Winair with the help of Premium IV...arrived an hour earlier than scheduled. Accomodations at the CG way more than satisfactory. Great suite, great view, lovely help...a very nice property. Drinks at a newly redone Bar de L'Oubli (my favorite bar in the Western Hemisphere... but frankly, I liked it better when it was a bit funkier) and dinner at Andy's...pizza margharita, spaghetti carborara and salade verte. Everything that we've come to expect from Andy's...and less (just kidding...it was very good and only 54.50 EU.

A nice run on Grand Fond this morning, beach a Lorient...and lunch at Grain de Sel. 3 glasses of rose, milady had the tuna tataki and I had the goat cheeseburger avec bacon. A bottle of water, a few rhum vanilles and a check for 60.50 EU. Sampling our own vodka and lime in the room right now...then down to Wall House for dinner.

More to come...

Thanks, Mikey. The special rates at Carl Gustaf are oh so tempting! (Although special rates at CG are still expensive relative to most other high end resorts.) Sounds like your first day and a half were more than splendid. Have a great week!! (p.s. For those of you not inclined to order pasta on SBH, the spaghetti carbonara at Andy's is scrumptious.)

Enjoy your stay and keep the dispatches coming. Question: Are you lame? I mean the PIV help and all :)

Looks like a great start: GdSel for lunch and Wall House for dinner? Sounds like you might be giving a certain couple some dining competition! ;-)

Enjoy your stay and keep the dispatches coming. Question: Are you lame? I mean the PIV help and all

No...not lame...just a slight limp is all. Old football injury.

But seriously folks, I can pack in a brown paper sack. It's the wife. Two steamer trunks for a week.

Actually, we've gotten spoiled over the years and have always opted for either St. Barth Services or PIV to handle luggage, transfers, etc. Sometimes its an unnecessary expense...and other times they have saved the day for us. Without going into detail, on one return trip through PJIA their intercession and expeditious handling of us and our bags...and the AA personnel got us onto a flight that we would have otherwise missed.

Second installment--

Dinner at Wall House was wonderful. A cheerful reception from Bernard then onto the serious business of selecting from a terrific menu. We settled on sharing the greouillettes and each had the sea bream from the rotisserie. After the previous nights dinner and the goatcheese burger at GdeS I could actually hear my arteries hardening...so fish seemed to make sense. Dinner was preceeded by an amouse bouche of leek soup. One taste and I wanted a bowl. Superb. We ordered a "big" wine...a bordeaux from Chateau Tres Cher at 64 EU and managed to drink it all. No dessert although l'isle flotant...or, for that matter, anything on the dessert trolley, is hard to resist. An expresso and a check...all for 160.

Today was the nicest so far weatherwise. Partly sunny through most of the day...some clouds later in the afternoon. Another run along Grand Fond, some beach at Lorient followed by lunch at Le Piment. Salade Chevre Chaud for me, Pannini Key West for my beloved...3 glassed of rose, one water, one asiette frites and two expressos. 50 EU. I love the place.

Just got back from a massage at the spa in the CG. Magnifique. A nice ending to an almost perfect day. Undecided on where to eat dinner tonight. I'll let you know what we decide.

Sounds like a perfect day. Can you compare the massage experience at CG to any others on the island?

"Drinks at a newly redone Bar de L'Oubli (my favorite bar in the Western Hemisphere... but frankly, I liked it better when it was a bit funkier"

I always love my morning coffee and croissant at bar de L'Oubli. Watching Gustavia wake up. But this year I went, and they had a huge flat screen tv...with the local CBS NY morning news on...the traffic report. I did not need that. Did not go back, but I am sure I will next trip

Just sit with your back to the tv and watch the people streaming by. It's still a great place to meet/greet and people watch---day or night.

julia said:
Just sit with your back to the tv and watch the people streaming by. It's still a great place to meet/greet and people watch---day or night.

We enjoyed our little impromptu with you two there!

Sounds like a perfect day. Can you compare the massage experience at CG to any others on the island?

The Carita Spa at CG is brand new and beautiful. There is a nice gym with stationary bikes, treadmills, multi-station and free weights. Hydrotherapy pool and Zen-like massage rooms. The massage itself was restful and enjoyable. On a scale of 1-10...probably a 7.5. BTW...it was included in our package so the price was right!!!

Third installment--
Yesterday and early today was definitely oriented to experiencing the Carl Gustav. We had the massage yesterday afternoon...then cocktails and hors d'ouevre in the lounge. Continuing the theme we decided to cash in our free meal at Victoria. As part of our Luxury Link package we were entitled to dinner from a "set menu" per the voucher received on arrival. You may recall in earlier posts that I was uncertain whether I wanted to "burn" a meal at the CG instead of one of our favorites...or one of the new restaurants on the island.

Suffice to say, this was not a wasted meal. In fact, it was one of the very best meals we have had...here or anywhere else. The starters were tuna tartare or tarte aux aubergines et chevre. Main course poulet grillee or mahi-mahi and dessert of l'ile flotante or sorbet. We had some of everthing. Superb presentation...actually unbelievably artistic, beautiful serving pieces. Great preparation with interesting and unusual sides...and it was like having a private chef 'cause the dining room was empty. We had a table by the window overlooking the quay with a pleasant breeze. This is a restaurant that deserves to be on everyone's list. Yes, our dinner was included in the price of our package...but if your in the mood for modern French cuisine, beautifully prepared and presented, in an exquisite setting Victoria is a new "must" on our list.

I was only sorry that I didn't have my camera or I would have tried to match Amy for food "styling".

Today...like yesterday...mostly sunny all day. Another run along Grand Fond then decided to stay in the suite on the deck with the plunge pool. Very nice. Lunch at Le Repaire. 2 Nicoise salads, the obligatory frites, 3 roses, water and rhum vanille 82 EU. I was stunned that they charged for the rhum. The food was fine but we won't be back there anytime soon. Just too touristy with the cruise ships in...and don't ask me if I want a rhum...then charge for it.

Then to Gouvernour 'til almost sundown. Beautiful. Maya's tonight.

Good to see this Victoria's write up. I am adding it to the list.right now. Enjoy Mayas, we have had many wonderful dinners there.

If you get the chance, tell Randy, Maya, and Dora we will see them soon.

Bon soir everyone. Amy