• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

We have a 1 night layover in SXM. Would appreciate recommendations on where to stay... Being a part of the enthusiastic crowds around the airport fen

ruthiebird1

Staying 1 night in SXM

We have a 1 night layover in SXM. Would appreciate recommendations on where to stay...
Being a part of the enthusiastic crowds around the airport fence...is NOT our goal Thanks for any suggestions...

Re: Staying 1 night in SXM

If you do not want to go to Grand Case, then I would suggest Mary's Boon - it's close to airport but not part of the crowd you are looking to avoid.

We had to overnight in St. Maarten a few years back and stayed at La Samana. Very nice and the food in their restaurant was excellent. BUT, that was several years ago.

If You are going to fly from Julianna, I would just stay at Sonesta Maho. Its a quick trip to the airport. If You have time, take a 5 minute walk over to Mullet Bay. That is a really pretty beach. Right by the hotel are several restaurants. Cheri's Cafe has music, Soprano's has a piano bar. Have breakfast outside at the hotel overlooking the sea. Jump in a cab, 5 minute ride back to the airport. Quick and easy.

why not, if you get there in time for dinner and can stay for a swim in the morning and breakfast, its a lovely overnight experience... a friend of mine just went there for lunch at their beach grille and a quick swim during a 4-hour layover in SXM, on his way from SBH to LAX, said it was a great pause in his travel day...

Ellen, we too used to do that instead of killing 4 hours at Julianna or even in the VIP lounge area. Much more civilized way to wrap up a vacation.

La Samanna staff always made us feel welcome for lunch and hanging out until departure time merited our return to the airport. We wold take a taxi over and ask the guy/gal to come back for us-they always did too, darn it.

Reliving my experience last month I just think Mary's Boon is a fun place as is the entire Simpson Bay area. Dinners were always special many years ago and still today and the bar scene is great. Nice staff and rooms. I bet it's more than half LaSammana's rate.

Staying 1 night in SXM

JEK said:
Come on admit it, you go to Mary's Boon to get your hair braided :)

You have to explain that to me. Phyllis did get her hair braided many years ago when we stayed at at Cupecoy Beach Club. Took me hours to get it apart.

RE

La Samana IS great and the sunset is the best on Long Beach, but a grand a night? No thanks, Maho is $135 a night, plenty of rooms, restaurants and You can always find a cab right outside. And I'm cheap!

For me, it may depend on which way I'm going, which will likely mean a difference in state of mind. Southbound, La Samanna. Northbound, Mary's Boon or the Horny Toad.

A 4-hour layover in SXM does suggest La Samanna, just as a 4-hour layover in SJU suggests Ritz Carlton.