Look for your local favorites . . . A couple that caught my attention: Restauranteur Roger Berkowitz, Legal Sea Foods, Boston Chef Sam Hayward, For

JEK

Senior Insider
Look for your local favorites . . .

A couple that caught my attention:
Restauranteur
Roger Berkowitz, Legal Sea Foods, Boston
Chef
Sam Hayward, Fore Street, Portland, ME
Restaurant
Bouchon, Yountville, CA
Fore Street, Portland, ME
Vidalia, Washington, D.C
Best New
Eventide, Arlington, VA

I am going for my annual trip to Portland ( retail show ) and to Fore Street Restaurant in two weeks....words cannot describe how good it is

I'm a little surprised at how many restaurants on the list I've been to - not a lot, but one here, another there...

I was at Vidalia years ago--it was fantastic. Haven't tried Eventide---but it looks wonderful--anyone been? The rooftop scene sounds fun too....

I had a lunch at Vidalia a few months ago and it was still good. I was surprised to see it on the list. Eventide is now on our list, perhaps if and when Spring ever arrives.

I've been to Eventide several times. Definitely a fun place, (really 3 places). If you're in Clarendon during good weather, the rooftop bar is the place to be. The second floor resto has great decor. The first floor is also a bar/resto in the Clarendon style. There are several other places with the same formula on that block. Liberty Tavern, for example, is also good. The food at either is not really high-end but it's good and the wine list is well-chosen.

Thanks Josh! I've been to Liberty Tavern....and I think we'll give Eventide a whirl....I love a good roof-top scene for warm weather. This is great to get first-hand reports!

The Chicago selections are interesting.
I'm not a huge Paul Kahan fan, but that may be because his places are just not comfortable places to have a meal. Taste and presentation are extremely important, but if I'm sitting on top of people, it doesn't matter.
Jean Joho is a master. Due to the location of his place (at the top of a building on downstreet street that is a bit difficult to get to) it tends to go off my radar. I need to go back.
Les Nomades is a nice place, but I wouldn't rank it in the top 5 in Chicago.
Nice to see Charlie Trotter's place in LV get some attention. I had a great meal there about two years ago. "Pelago" I've never heard of, which is interesting since I tend to be pretty tuned in to the Chicago restaurant scene. I may be losing touch.
Nice to see Alinea and NoMi get attention for wine service. Alinea in particular has an outstanding program. I love the fact that they serve me stuff I've never heard of.
Brian Duncan, nominated for best wine and spirits professional, is a guy that I've known for about 15 years (since his days at Spruce). He is everything a wine guy should be. Enthusiastic and completely down to earth. It would be great to see him win.
Alpana Singh use to run the wine program at Everest (Jean Joho's place). I think because she was young and female, people may have given her a bit of a hard time, and as a result, it seemed like she felt that she had to impress us with her knowledge. I really wanted to tell her "You are running Joho's wine program. If he selected you, that's good enough for me. Make your recommendations, and I will trust your judgment. Don't bother trying to impress me. That's already been done."