What a great read about an ordinary Texas boy who spent his entire life preparing for three minutes over and in the Hudson. Finished it tonight.

JEK

Senior Insider
What a great read about an ordinary Texas boy who spent his entire life preparing for three minutes over and in the Hudson.
Finished it tonight.

Not to detract from the Captain's stellar performance in matters of judgement and decision making, but there are some that say that the 'fly by wire' aspect and computers of the Airbus aided SUBSTANTIALLY to his success.

I'm sure the pilots on the forum will chime in....and I want to read the book...LOL

He talks about that and makes an alternative point - no feedback on the stick like he would have had on a hydraulic system. Leave to Fred to try to diminish his accomplishment.

JEK said:
He talks about that and makes an alternative point - no feedback on the stick like he would have had on a hydraulic system. Leave to Fred to try to diminish his accomplishment.

I in no way intended to diminish his accomplishment, Mr Positive...
As a matter of fact, I pointed out that his judgement and decision making capabilities were paramount (not to mention his cohones...).
I simply suggested that the electronics in the Airbus aided him in the effort...
Who kicked your dog?

As a retired airline pilot who flew both Boeing and Airbus aircraft, I was "teased" into reading this book by the implication that somehow the automation of the A320 was a major factor in the successful ditching. I had heard the author on a NPR radio interview extolling the virtues of the Airbus fly by wire system (which the author uses interchangeably for aircraft automation}, and I was hardpressed to see how this affected the outcome. After finishing the book, nothing the author wrote convinced me that the ditching would have been any less successful had Captain Sullenberger been flying a Boeing under the identical conditions. While the book was a quick and enjoyable read that provided some interesting insights into the airline world these days, I really didn't learn anything new about the accident and there was a lot of "padding" in areas of little interest - i.e. migratory geese. Another complaint I had with the book was the author's advocacy of the Airbus design philsophy that basically takes as much control away from the pilot as the engineers can achieve. It seemed to me that he was using the Hudson ditching as a validation of the Airbus design philosophy, when in reality, it was the captain's skill that brought about the successful outcome. The author gives ample credit to the pilots, but he also credits the Airbus automation with "keeping the wings level," and "preventing a stall" just before touchdown, both conditions easily controllable by a capable pilot. Clearly, the extent to which aircraft should be automated is a hotly debated topic among pilots, engineers and air safety experts, with Boeing engineers leaving considerably more control in the hands of the pilots that does Airbus. A book written on this topic with the pros and cons of each design philosophy would be most interesting and informative for the flying public, but this book proves nothing except that experience and skill in the cockpit are still the most important factor in air safety.