Anyone have any experience with one of these? A buddy of mine swears by it and I thinking of getting one even though I have a big built in Viking natu

JEK

Senior Insider
Anyone have any experience with one of these? A buddy of mine swears by it and I thinking of getting one even though I have a big built in Viking natural gas grill.

1264714969-BGE_xl9905_edited.gif

For many years the Large EGG was our most popular size. But as consumers increased the frequency of their outdoor cooking, they discovered that entire meals could be cooked over the coals and even learned they could cook several meals at once, they decided that large for them wasn't large enough. We realized there was a substantial demand for an even bigger EGG so we developed the XL Big Green Egg.

Specifications:

24-inch diameter cooking grid
Weighs 205 pounds
452 square inches of cooking surface
The XL EGG can cook:
two 20-pound turkeys
24 burgers
11 whole chickens
12 steaks
14 racks of ribs vertically

There is a Big Green Egg to fit everyone's outdoor cooking needs with five sizes ranging from Mini to Extra Large. You can use the EGG® year around in all climates, even in freezing temperatures or during pouring rain. You will find it more versatile than any outdoor cooking appliance on the market, whether comparing it to gas, electric or another charcoal grill, because the EGG is a smoker, a grill and an oven all rolled into one. Here are some of the reasons current owners love their EGG.

It's A Complete Outdoor Cooker

The Big Green Egg has unparalleled cooking flexibility. You can grill steaks and chops to the perfect degree of doneness, cooking at temperatures up to 750°F for steakhouse searing. But if fallin'-off-the-bone ribs or a tasty, juicy brisket is on your menu, the EGG will maintain a low temperature of 200° to 250°F for the low-and-slow smoke cooking that develops wonderful flavor while tenderizing the meat. Whether searing or slow cooking, prepare the entire meal on the grill by adding any of your favorite vegetables to the cooking grid. If you're longing for cornbread, biscuits, a freshly baked loaf of bread or even a warm pie or cobbler to complete your meal, the EGG bakes better than a brick oven.

The simple secret to temperature control is the easily adjustable dampers that let you maintain accuracy within a few degrees. The exterior temperature gauge gives precise temperature readings of the cooker's internal temperature.

Awesome Results

The EGG retains moisture in foods and releases flavor unequalled by other types of cooking, indoors or outdoors, thanks to the space-age ceramics from which the cooker is made. Foods don't dry out and meat undergoes little or no shrinkage. Foods will have a natural and wholesome quality and there are no metallic or chemical tastes. The ceramic surface doesn't get as hot as a metal cooker, also making the EGG safer to use.

Easy to Start

The Big Green Egg reaches cooking temperature and is ready to use in approximately 10 minutes. The inventive design of the EGG draws air into the lower draft door, through the charcoal, and out of the damper top. We recommend using natural lump charcoal, which lights quickly, and by using a natural fire starter, or an electric lighter, no lighter fluid is ever needed!

Easy Clean Up

Burning natural lump charcoal results in less ash than burning briquettes, thus less frequent ash clean out is required. The Big Green Egg exterior has a lifetime glaze that maintains its good looks and easily wipes clean with a damp cloth. Inside, the heat burns off any grease build-up - like a self-cleaning oven.

Attachments

• BGE_xl9905_edited.gif
    BGE_xl9905_edited.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 66
One of my craziest foodie friends....and I mean totally, comes out of the cheese store with seven varieties and once made a 90 mile round trip in the mountains for bread....owns one of these and swears by it.

BTW, he's too much of a purist for a gas grill. In the country, it's hardwood charcoal only. None of the matchlite briquette crap...LOL

Do it.

You know you young guys- there comes a time when easy is the way to go- there is nothing wrong with propane. Makes a fine steak, chicken, pizza, fish et al.

I agree....I have all three..a nuclear 70,000 BTU gas grill..a charcoal grill and a smoker..we take our outdoor cooking very seriously here and do it all year round....

but I really love the flavor a genuine hardwood coal gives to food

I love you americans with your bbq ;-)

When we moved out from the city ~10 years ago, we bought about the biggest Weber one could fine here at the time. It's about the entry level in the US catalog.

We've used it occasionally at -30 C (-22 F) with snow almost to your waist, works but gets more difficult to grill as there's constant battle between the cold and the heat.

4314254568_fc5285e0b4_o.jpg

this is the one i have wasting away in my garage. i think i'm going to put it on craig's list this weekend.

JesusMary&Joseph!

That is sweet.

Why don't you get up a good head of steam and give it a good, hard push towards Chicago!

Petri said:
I love you americans with your bbq ;-)

When we moved out from the city ~10 years ago, we bought about the biggest Weber one could fine here at the time. It's about the entry level in the US catalog.

We've used it occasionally at -30 C (-22 F) with snow almost to your waist, works but gets more difficult to grill as there's constant battle between the cold and the heat.

Keep the damn TOP LID closed.

I changed out the regulator on my weber at the beach....more flow=more gas= hotter temps.
Still not as hot as charcoal...

fake charcoal burns way way too cool...hardwood charcoal is really hot....my 70,000 BTU Gas Grill will sear your steak and singe your eyebrows if you get too close when its on high..

I am getting a custom grill piece made which fits into my fireplace for beautiful indoor wood fire grilling

Dennis said:
JesusMary&Joseph!

That is sweet.

Why don't you get up a good head of steam and give it a good, hard push towards Chicago!

you and i could've made a sweet trade, menace! some of the furniture you trying to unload would look great in my house!

Mike R said:
fake charcoal burns way way too cool...hardwood charcoal is really hot....my 70,000 BTU Gas Grill will sear your steak and singe your eyebrows if you get too close when its on high..

I am getting a custom grill piece made which fits into my fireplace for beautiful indoor wood fire grilling
1264788109-grill_copy.jpg

Attachments

• grill_copy.jpg
    grill_copy.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 60