Even tho Gourmet is dead- the editor's TV show continues. Ruth Reichel found some very fine chefs on this show and one from Seattle did a Salmon Chowd

andynap

Senior Insider
Even tho Gourmet is dead- the editor's TV show continues. Ruth Reichel found some very fine chefs on this show and one from Seattle did a Salmon Chowder that I made tonight. I did not do the salmon stock- I used a frozen fish stock- but it came out just fine. I suppose a clam stock would work too. I used pancetta for the bacon.

Salmon Chowder
Gourmet's Adventures with Ruth: Season One: Jon Rowley's Seattle
Serves 8 (first course) or 4 to 6 (main course)

* Active time:45 min
* Start to finish:1 1/2 hr

Greg Atkinson, Canlis Restaurant, Seattle, WA
October 2009

For Salmon Stock

* 2 to 3 lb bones, tail, fins, and head (if available) from an 8- to 10-lb salmon
* 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium onion, sliced
* 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced, reserving fronds for garnish
* 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns, cracked

For Chowder

* 1/4 lb smoked bacon (about 4 slices), finely chopped
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
* 1 1/2 cups cups chopped celery
* 1 teaspoons grated peeled ginger
* 1 teaspoon grated garlic
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2 inch; 2 cups)
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
* 1 lb piece skinless salmon fillet, cut into 2- by 1/2-inch strips

Make Stock

Simmer all stock ingredients in a 6- to 8-qt heavy pot, skimming foam as necessary, 20 minutes.
Strain stock through a large sieve or colander into a large bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids. Set aside 4 cups stock for chowder and reserve remainder for another use.

Make Chowder

Cook bacon in cleaned pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Cook onion, celery, ginger, and garlic in fat remaining in pot over medium heat, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
Add salmon stock and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add potatoes and 1 tsp salt and simmer gently, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in cream and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring. Season with salt and pepper, then add salmon and simmer until just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Serve chowder sprinkled with bacon and some of fennel fronds.

COOKS' NOTE: Salmon stock keeps, chilled, 3 days or frozen 1 month

And why not? I did not use the times for the salmon posted- I cooked it 3 minutes. It was really good.

Andynap said:
And why not? I did not use the times for the salmon posted- I cooked it 3 minutes. It was really good.

I don't know why not...the flavors just don't work for me....

yes I would...you re not offended that I dont like salmon chowder I hope...if so I will happily delete the post

just want to be sure paisano

I was driving into my little Mayberry town today and a new store opened selling DiBruno products which is the gold standard for cheeses in Philly like Dean/DeLuca is in NYC. Anyway, they had Gorgonzola Dulce that I have never seen locally. However, it isn't the same as that in Italy which is non-pasteurized and which the USDA won't let into this country. So the Italians aren't stupid so they pasteurized it and here it is. Close but not the weepy, creamy one in Florence.