gramchop Said: it's a coconut/saffron/fish yummy bunch of goodness! just made it before the holidays...it is that!

Missy actually inspired me to do this dish when she posted these same pictures about a month ago...so I ran with it....

there were no leftovers.....I will for sure make it again

amyb said:
I have to avoid mussels-that's why I asked. Can't wait to try it.

we re not big mussel fans here..we dont mind them every now and than, but when the choice is mussels or littlenecks...we're always going to go the littleneck route...mussels are the red meat equivalent "chopped chuck" of mollusks in both price and flavor

yeah that too....a famous cook once said there are only really about 20 recipes in the world...and about ten thousand variations and different names of those 20.....it was somewhat tongue in cheek - but not really..there is some truth to that

Here is the one I used....I am sure I tweaked it to my tastes but this is a good starting point

If you have a Le Creuset dutch oven ( or the like ) it is perfect for this sort of thing because of its even heat distribution

* 1 1/2 pounds white meat fish
* Juice of 2 limes
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
* 1 green pepper, sliced thinly
* 1 large onion, sliced thinly
* 2 plum tomatoes, sliced thinly
* 4-5 green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped
* 1 bunch of cilantro, washed and roughly chopped
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chile pepper (or to taste)
* A few drops of Tabasco Chipolte
* 6 pinches of Saffron
* 2 1/2 cups coconut milk

Preparation:

1. Cut the fish into bite size pieces and place in a ziplock bag. Add the lime juice, salt, ground pepper, and minced garlic. Marinate fish for 1 to 4 hours in the refrigerator.

2. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan. Layer 1/2 of the peppers, tomatoes, and onions over the bottom of the pan.

3. Cover the vegetables with the fish and the marinade.

4. Layer the rest of the peppers, onions and tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with the chopped green onions and half of the chopped cilantro.

5. Whisk the paprika and chile pepper into the coconut milk, and pour mixture over the vegetables and fish. Add Saffron

6. Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil

7. Bring mixture to a boil, and simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove cover and simmer for 25 minutes more, or until vegetables are well-cooked and tender.

8. Sprinkle the rest of the chopped cilantro over the hot stew. Serve with rice and fried plantians.