Turkey Tricks - Kara in the Chicago Trib

my turkey trick is to get a beautiful organic free range turkey from down the road..that we pick out in July and get it tagged with our name on it

and also to brine it but to the salt, add sugar and lemon juice

and to cook it on roast convection mode instead of straight baking

Mrs. JEK has been doing the rough prep for a week or so. Onions and celery sauteed for the stuffing. Love the way the house smells.

JEK said:
Love the way the house smells.

yup ..thats the best part...the smells

when Wendi starts her ginger/cranberry/apricot chutney...thats what starts it out...and it just gets better and better from there..add to that the maple and apple wood burning in the fireplace...the chestnuts roasting in the fireplace......wow

curry it....and use a fish stock as the base instead of a poultry stock, then it wont be so close....

Wendi is doing a pumpkin/banana mousse pie and chestnut bars for dessert

It's the spices that make it smell like pumpkin pie not the base. Some of my relatives would die if I gave them curry. I have to walk a middle ground here.

yeah I hear ya....if not curry you re probably going with cinnamon, allspice, cloves etc???..too close to the pie for sure

I have a friend who does it that way....the turkey does come out good.... but I still prefer the traditional way because than you get can great stuffing as well...I own one of those turkey fryers but they work much better as a way of doing a massive seafood boil with lobsters and clams and corn etc

Andynap said:
It's the spices that make it smell like pumpkin pie not the base. Some of my relatives would die if I gave them curry. I have to walk a middle ground here.

I had my ex's family from Italy over for dinner a few years ago and I decided to make a wonderful Caribbean-themed dinner using the Sugar Mill cookbook I bought on Tortola. None of the men would touch any food that was orange including a yam dish or even the plantains because they could not relate it to a comparable good in Italy. The women tried everything and loved it.

So Phyllis came home tonite with a bag of Key Limes- guess what's for dessert on Turkey day??? Phyllis will do the crust and I'll do the rest.

Andynap said:
So Phyllis came home tonite with a bag of Key Limes- guess what's for dessert on Turkey day??? Phyllis will do the crust and I'll do the rest.

i'm sure i'm the last person you'd be interested in sharing your recipe with, but i'd be eternally grateful if you would, svp!!!

if not him..we do key lime pie all the time here..its very easy...a monkey can do it...I'll share