The Decade's 50 Most Important Recordings (according to NPR)

JEK

Senior Insider
1258552132-50mostimportant.jpg

Attachments

• 50mostimportant.jpg
    50mostimportant.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 74
Most important recordings of the DECADE, really? A lot of this stuff is fairly recent. It would be interesting to see their criteria for selection.

eddie said:
What a lousy musical decade...

that is so true eddie......music seems to get stuck for a while and then suddenly take quantum leaps forward.....this decade looks like its legacy will be the 80's redux..LOL...the 60's was such a Renaissance period....would be great to get another decade like that again

still there are some good ones on that list above

The 60s was the breakthrough year for R&R, Blues, Jazz, etc. Elvis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Dave Brubeck, Beatles, and on and on.

Absolutely agree, Andy. The music of the 60's was pivitol in changing pretty much everything in popular music. As far as the list above, to my mind there is only one viable entry, and that is Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. When you consider the work against the backdrop of who these people are, the music they produce is amazing. It's already on my top 50 of all time. If you haven't heard it yet, jump up to ITunes and take a listen.

Phil

Grey-Phil and I love this one too. It was recommended by us to a friend at dinner just last night. How cool is that? Amy

yep.....Krause and Plant rock together..

too bad Amy Winehouse,who made the list, is such a drunk/druggie because the girl can belt out a tune when she is in shape to do so...

Amy Winhouse is really a tragic figure, like a later day Janis. I just hope for her sake that she doesn't come to the same tragic end as Janis.

Phil

I hate "Greatest Lists" What does it mean?

I respect NPR for many reasons. But, turning into a Rolling Stone magazine cheap attention getter should not be part of their gig.

I like my music. And my preferences change everyday. That's the beauty of it. My feelings today. My tunes today.

'lil wayne, beyonce AND britney...GREAT? in the opinion of whom? holy moley....what a crazy list! what a crazy DECADE! donny osmond, PLEASE release something new!!! :laugh:

The guy who compiled the list was on NPR yesterday. While I disagree with his choices ( Brittany among them) he did make a compelling argument, augmented by sound clips.
Still, there are (maybe) 5 from the list, that I'd like to own.