Thread: Daniel

SBH Member Joined: May 2009 Boston Posts: 88
    Has anyone eaten at Daniel? Or can recommend another restaurant for a special occasion. My wife and I will be visiting family for the holiday in NY. We will then stay in NYC Saturday night as a mini vacation. I wanted to go somewhere good to eat. Any recommendations?

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,290
    I've never eaten at Daniel but had a wonderful brunch at Cafe Boulud, another of the chef's restaurants. The setting is lovely and elegant.
    My favorite meal in NYC was at Blue Hill in the Village. Great if you are into locavore, artisanal foods.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2009 New York Posts: 2,006
    Daniel is wonderful. Other great choices in a similar vein are Per Se and Jean Georges. Of the three Jean Georges is my favorite but all three are fantastic and terrific for a special occasion. You can't go wrong.

SBH Member Joined: May 2009 Boston Posts: 88
    Thank You Both. I do like Jean Georges restaurants. I actually had my wedding at the new W hotel in DC. His steakhouse JG did the catering... that is also another option, perhaps stay at the hotel there.

Thank you both very much

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,064
    And do try to book ASAP. What with the euro dollar thing going on there will be many foreign visitors in town to take advantage of shopping etc etc. Amy

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2002 Toronto, Canada Posts: 1,958
    I enjoyed a lovely birthday dinner at Daniel several years ago. The food and service were wonderful. The Siberian table by the kitchen door was not. I'd love to try Per Se. For a romantic evening, I recommend Cafe des Artistes. Gorgeous room.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2009 New York Posts: 2,006
    Cafe des Artistes has unfortunately closed. Very sad.

No, no, no! Very sad, indeed! Thank you for the update.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Annapolis Posts: 4,106
    Loved Cafe des Artistes for the many years we were living near NYC. Those murals are a kitschy treasure. Surely they will be preserved.

I loved those classical murals.

From Wikipedia:
    The restaurant's famous murals were painted by Howard Chandler Christy. There are six panels of wood nymphs - the first of which were completed in 1934. Other Christy works on display include paintings such as The Parrot Girl, The Swing Girl, Ponce De Leon, Fall, Spring, and the Fountain of Youth.

Now, although the lovely nymphs still flit and dance, when one looks around the restaurant, one sees strategically placed mirrors where there used to be unbroken mural. The explanation has to do with real property landlord-tenant law.

In the 1960s, a dispute arose between the outgoing tenant and the landlord over who had rights in and to the murals. Under the common law, assuming the parties had not agreed otherwise, fixtures, i.e., accessions that had inured to the realty so that their removal would cause material harm to the freehold, would become property of the landlord upon the termination of the lease.

The parties settled the dispute, each presumably unwilling to run the risk of receiving nothing because of an adverse judgment; however, in all likelihood, the murals were not fixtures, and were the property of the tenant. In any case, per the settlement terms, the tenant was allowed to take and keep several of the murals, but the majority of the murals remained in the restaurant, and the landlord replaced with mirrors those sections that the tenant took.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,024
    i'm sad to hear they've closed....i've had the greatest desserts and after-dinner drinks there for many years!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2008 NYC, Nice Posts: 1,491
    Le Bernardin is another good choice.

Daniel is fabulous!!

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,048
    Quote Originally Posted by marybeth
    I've never eaten at Daniel but had a wonderful brunch at Cafe Boulud, another of the chef's restaurants. The setting is lovely and elegant.
    My favorite meal in NYC was at Blue Hill in the Village. Great if you are into locavore, artisanal foods.
    Agree the dinner there is amazing just would not want to be there if the President and his wife show up for "Date Night"
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2005 Millstone, NJ 08535 Posts: 53
    I think Bar Boulud is great!!!
    Eileen