Just a heads up re today's featured restaurant in the NY Times dining section, MAREA. Dish featured with photo-DOVER SOLE!!! C.L.O.D.S. rule!! Amy

amyb

Senior Insider
Just a heads up re today's featured restaurant in the NY Times dining section, MAREA. Dish featured with photo-DOVER SOLE!!! C.L.O.D.S. rule!! Amy

Yum!

1256139072-ds.jpg
1256139083-popup.jpg

http://events.nytimes.com/2009/10/21/dining/reviews/21rest.html

It is not hard to do-the bone is well defined and easy to locate.

I saw JEK did his own, I prefer the wait staff to take care of it for me. I am, after all, of that "certain age" when it is nice to be pampered and spoiled!

JEK said:
I always do it myself. Very easy, just like learning to tie a bow tie.

I'll give it a try in two weeks just to learn how.

Amy, I agree. It is so nice to be pampered every now and then (no matter what the age).

Step one: remove head and tail.
Step two : using light pressure use a fork or spoon pull all of the lateral bones from the fins. Take enough of the fish to remove ALL of the bones.
Step three: divide the upper fillet in half and place on a clean plate
Step four: using a fish fork carefully tease the backbone from the front to the back so as to not disturb the lower fillet.
Step five: divide the lower fillet and place on the clean plate atop the other fillet.
Step six: consume

Left out the "lightly drizzle with fresh, never frozen, lemon juice."

"Cleanse between bites with sips of chilled Domaine Ott" is another important step.

JEK said:
Step one: remove head and tail.
Step two : using light pressure use a fork or spoon pull all of the lateral bones from the fins. Take enough of the fish to remove ALL of the bones.
Step three: divide the upper fillet in half and place on a clean plate
Step four: using a fish fork carefully tease the backbone from the front to the back so as to not disturb the lower fillet.
Step five: divide the lower fillet and place on the clean plate atop the other fillet.
Step six: consume

I think I can handle everything except step two. I am not so sure where to look for the lateral bones in the fins. Perhaps my waiter will give me a demonstration so I can learn this.

I forwarded this thread to my fishmonger/ commercial fisherman friends.....I wish I could post the replies, but in true fishmonger/ commercial fishermen fashion...they would get deleted fast...suffice to say they were, at least to me, hysterical... thank you for the entertainment as always... :up: ...

and of course

bon appetit...

I can de-bone a sole if I want to. I usually don't want to. It's more fun to watch the delightful waistaff at Sand Bar do it for me.