• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Bonjour (I'm practicing my french by greeting before I ask a question), I have several questions and also need some advice. First the background: I

JT01

SBH Member
Bonjour (I'm practicing my french by greeting before I ask a question),

I have several questions and also need some advice. First the background:

I made our airline reservations many months ago. Booked a connection through Philadelphia on US Air to SXM and booked separate tickets through WinAir to SBH. We have 2 hours betweeen flights at SXM and we paid 488 Euros for the 2 WinAir R/T tickets.

My first question. I read on the WinAir website that you can only check your bags all the way through to SBH on US Air if you buy your tickets as a single ticket. I bought our tickets separately so does that mean I cant check the bags all the way through to SBH from PHL? I realize that is what the website said but......

Which leads me to my need for advice. Based on what I have read on this forum, either way, our checked bags have about a 50/50 chance of making it to SBH with us on WinAir.

Given all this, do you think I should contact Terrance's AirSXM to share a charter and cancel my WinAir reservations? Given the high price I paid for my WinAir tickets, I'm guessing that the AirSXM will be about the same and we have a much better chance of arriving with all our luggage. Arriving with our luggage is kind of a big thing to us.

What do you think?

Thanks

John

John,

I make the trip to SBH about ten times/year, always on US Air and mostly use Winair as well. I never buy my Winair tix through US Air. I almost always check bags all the way through to SBH from my airport of origin. Sometimes I have to convince the ticket agent that it can be done, but unless something has changed in the last ten weeks, it's still a valid baggage arrangement. I would say that my luggage arrives with me to SBH about 70% of the time and always arrives by the next day.

John- the convenience of having your bags go all the way thru, thus saving countless time in the SXM airport far exceeds the problem of your bags getting there on time. I always pack some things in my carry-on just in case the luggage arrives the next day. If the USAIR counter in PHL tags your bags all the way thru to SBH you are in regardless of the Win website.

Bonjour JT!
I know some people have had success in getting luggage tagged to SBH by insisting at check-in and having copies of their Winair tix. In fact, sometime you have to insist even when the USAir and Winair tix are purchased together.
Besides worrying about Winair getting your bags, you need to prepare for the chance that the luggage doesn't make it to SXM with you (you did say you were flying thru Philly, right? LOL) In that case, if its already checked to SBH you have a good chance it will be forwarded. If checked to SXM, you would benefit from having a VIP service to help you. These services, offered by Air SXM, Premium IV and St Barth Services provide airport assistance and will guarantee you get your bags if they don't make it with you, due to either the US or inter-island carrier. It cost us about $100 to do this with Air SXM and others can vouch for the other providers. Even though our bag made it, we felt it was worth it.
As a word of advice, we ALL hope our bags make it to SBH with us....but most prepare for that not happening by doing all carry-on or having a supply of necessities with us on the plane.

Hope this helps!

mb

I agree with the post above. On the facts presented, the best "insurance policy" is probably an expeditor. Easier than rebooking and will give you a point of contact and eyes and ears on SXM if things go wrong for any reason.

I was on a USAirways flight last week and they do show SBH as one of their destinations. For what ever reason, I have never been able to get the "check the luggage though" thing to work. They times they tagged it, it still did not arrive on time. Maybe just bad luck.

I've since become a Tradewind Loyalist from SJU whenever possible.

Good luck.

I think I must be the exception to the rule. Only once have my bags not made it to sbh with me. They arrived on the next flight, though. I know I'm pressing my luck...

eddie said:
I think I must be the exception to the rule. Only once have my bags not made it to sbh with me. They arrived on the next flight, though. I know I'm pressing my luck...

Are you familiar with the term "kinehurra" ? (sp)

Maybe I'm crazy....never checked bags through. It simply was never a big deal. My only rule is to travel on weekdays. Avoid the Bum's Rush.

Guys, let me in on this one. The Yiddish expression is KIN EIN HORA- and means no evil eye. It is pronounced like one word(kin-uh-hurra).(You don't want to tempt the devil kinda of knock on wood poo poo expression). Amy

I agree with Andy - have always checked bags straight through with USAir. It's just less hassle for us. Our bags actually made it ahead of us this trip! First time. I'm also agreeing with the 70% rule - we travel in off-season so can't attest to those traveling at the high season.

But Andy, it's not $750 after I factor in the SXM Departure Fee that I don't owe but usually pay anyway... ;) Besides, sometimes they serve Veuve Clicquot.