OLIVE KITTERIDGE

amyb

Senior Insider
The best book I read on this trip to Naples Florida was the Pulitzer Prize winner-"Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout. It is a collection of 13 stories featuring retired schoolteacher Olive Kitteridge. They stories come together in a beautifully well written story about her and her family, their trials and conflicts and joys, all set in rural Maine.

its been on my to read list..

I just ( minutes ago ) sold a book to the mother of the author of The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, Joshilyn Jackson,....who insisted I read her book..says its a great read....of course she is biased but it was on the NYT list for most of the summer

Is she related to THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE-sort of a ying and yang going on here, no?

Unless we try the UK route we have a long wait: This title will be released on June 8, 2010.

Groan. I had no idea that THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST, or something close to this title, is so far away. I was expecting it in a month or two! Luckily the truth for a reader like me is SO MANY BOOKS, SO LITTLE TIME! I will simply have to MAKE DO!

Amy,You can read lots of books between now and next June. It's worth waiting for---"Hornet's Nest" is a real page turner and I won't give you any hints! Don't know how he managed to keep three books so consistently surprising and engrossing.

While you are waiting, here's a little gem you might like. It will probably never make it to the mass market but it's lovely. "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford his first novel). If you liked the storyline of "Snow Falling on Cedars" written a number of years ago, you'll enjoy this book. It flows back and forth between the 1940's and the 1980's; set in Seattle, it is the story of the Japanese internment during WWII as experienced by a Chinese boy.