Wanna feel like a slacker?

Dennis

Senior Insider
Go see the almost 60 YO "Boss". Three hour show last night at the United Center. Non-stop. We never sat down. (OK, maybe during "Outlaw Pete".)

This guy is amazing. I was 15 when Thunder Road came out and I spent so many nights in my room with my Koss headphones on listening to it all the way through.

What a show!

Bruce Springsteen set list Sunday at United Center
1 Seeds
2 No Surrender
3 Johnny 99
4 Cover Me
5 Outlaw Pete
6 Hungry Heart
7 Working on a Dream
Born to Run album (8-15)
8 Thunder Road
9 Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
10 Night
11 Backstreets
12 Born to Run
13 She’s the One
14 Meeting Across the River
15 Jungleland

16 Waitin’ on a Sunny Day
17 Promised Land
18 Radio Nowhere
19 Lonesome Day
20 The Rising
21 Badlands

Encore
22 Hard Times Come Again No More (Stephen Foster)
23 Da Do Run Run (Ronettes hit)
24 Rockin’ Robin (Bobby Day hit)
25 I'm Going Down
26 American Land
27 Dancing in the Dark
28 Rosalita

This play list is impressive. I am sure it had to be a night to remember. Glad you got to be there.

Very similar to the set list we heard in DC. What a show he puts on! Was the wife with him last night?

Playlist from his site

May 18, 2009
Washington, DC
Verizon Center

Badlands
No Surrender
Outlaw Pete
She's The One
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Raise Your Hand
Out In The Street
Little Latin Lupe Lu
Hava Nagila
Blinded By The Light
Waiting On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The Wrestler
Kingdom Of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run

Hard Times
Kitty's Back
Land of Hope and Dreams
American Land
Rosalita

Mrs. S was presumably home in Rumson with the kids.

I was very surprised at the number of kids at the show last night. Many under 12 including a cute-as-home-made-shoes girl of maybe 8 who new almost every word to every song. She struggled a bit with "Meeting Across the River".

Bruce brought a few up on stage to sing along.

Amazing night!

We had a few of those in DC as well. One had a sign: "Jonas Smonas, we want Bruce" ;)

From the "Backstreets" website:

September 20 / United Center / Chicago, IL
Notes: What a wonderful diversion this show was, as the band settles in for the last leg of what has amounted to a two-year-plus-long tour. We knew we were going to get the Born to Run album start to finish but could only speculate whether it would open the show, close the show, or none of the above. Bruce takes such care to craft a new show—how would he insert a 40-minute opus into an otherwise solid set?

Not to open: a gritty "Seeds" took that spot for the first time. "No Surrender" followed, with Nils and Bruce locked in their frenetic guitar duel. "Johnny 99" had Bruce prowling the stage, cueing each solo with a shake of his fist. "Cover Me capped off this early Recession Suite, Bruce repeating the refrain "times are tough, just getting tougher" several times, and Nils closing the song with a searing solo.

Ater "Outlaw Pete" the mood brightened with "Hungry Heart," a major crowd pleaser for which Bruce again circumnavigated the pit as in South Carolina. He dropped out of sight for a moment, then suddenly he was making his way across the back barricade, hopping from one built-in bench seat to the next. Back on stage, two verses into "Working on a Dream," the song came to a halt. "Ladies and gentlemen, I hear the sound of the E Street Band fucking up! It can still happen after all these years... It ain't pretty." Following the song, Bruce fessed up: "Steven said I missed a verse, so it was the Boss's fault."

At 9:05 pm, the night's centerpiece began. Bruce introduced the Born to Run album: "What we are about to do we've only done once before, in a little theater in Red Bank.” He added, “When we made this record we were close to being dumped by our record company. This was our last chance." At the opening notes of "Thunder Road," the crowd became unhinged with emotion, turning the song into a full-length audience participation event.

And so the album sequence began. The only song of the eight that lagged, surprisingly for me, was "Night." It lacked the intensity with which I've seen them play it before. The much-coveted "Meeting Across the River" into "Jungleland" pairing was phenomenal, closing the Born to Run show-within-a-show at 9:54 pm; 49 minutes in total. In an era of iTunes and record company meltdowns, it was a treat to hear an album played as it was originally meant to be heard, some 34 years ago. Guest musicians included Curt Ramm on trumpet for "Tenth Avenue Freeze-out and "Meeting Across the River," along with Richard Davis for the latter, reprising his album role on on stand-up bass.

Back in the regular set, it was time for "Sunny Day." Mid-song, Bruce threw his guitar to Kevin Buell—it shot farther up in the air than out, leaving Kevin to dive in front of Max's kit to catch it. Bruce hunched his shoulders, offering a sheepish “Uh... Sorry?" A young boy, ten or 11 years old, came on stage to sing the chorus. His voice was shaky, but as Bruce made a move to count him back into tempo, the kid kept singing. Bruce laughed and looked at him as if to say "Don’t mind me, kid. It looks like you know what you're doing."

"Badlands" closed the main set, a counterpoint to its opening slot on much of this tour. And on to the encore: "Hard Times" was stellar, in particular the a cappella portion at the end, and the request portion of the night began, delayed but not preempted by the Born to Run performance in the main set. The band vamped on "Raise your Hand" as Bruce collected signs. I saw requests for "Man's Job" (!), "Point Blank," "Splish Splash," "Spirit in the Night," "Ramrod," "Runaround Sue," and what looked to be several hundred others. The first winner, however, was "Da Doo Ron Ron," on a big bright green sign from up in the 300 level, courtesy of my buds Jeff and Sarah (way to go, guys!). Bruce dedicated it to Ellie Greenwich, "a fantastic songwriter who passed away recently." The band didn’t have much trouble with it, achieving a Spector-worthy Wall of Sound just a few bars in. Bruce said to Clarence: "C, it’s got a very complicated sax solo. Just play it!" And Bruce sang it from a woman's point of view, channeling his inner Crystal: "I met him on a Monday and my heart stood still, Da Doo Ron Ron Ron, Da Do Ron Ron. Somebody told me that his name was Bill..."

Next was Bobby Day's "Rockin' Robin" (no mention of Michael Jackson), which was considerably harder for the band to sort out. As the band worked to find the right key, the crowd started singing the song. Bruce said, in a gravelly, insincere, funny voice: “Yeah, we appreciate it! Yeah yeah, it’s a great one...” "Dancing in the Dark" (with a gaggle of adolescents on stage for the Heyyyyy, babys), "American Land," and a very loose "Rosalita" closed the show. Bruce shouted, "Thanks for a great night!" And off he slipped into the night.

Dennis..and when I was growing up...he was the Saturday night bar band in the Stone Pony in Asbury Park....Southside Johnny was the Friday night band...

they would come on at 930ish...and play til 3....one break around midnight..and close every night with Rosalta....

he is amazing

He does give you your money's worth. I've only seen him about 10 times, but always admired his energy. Unfortunately, I could never buy into the hype. I think he's a guy with a handful of good songs (none recently), not the "savior of rock 'n roll."