during our outing we scored tix to see jason mraz at seattle's bumbershoot festival. he sang for about 2.5 hours and he completely entertained! i wi

GramChop

Senior Insider
during our outing we scored tix to see jason mraz at seattle's bumbershoot festival. he sang for about 2.5 hours and he completely entertained! i will see him again...and often!!!!

Lucky you! His music always makes me smile. Do you think we can lure him to St. Barths the first week in November? I'll invite him and let you know what he says. :D

p.s. So happy to have you back, My Dear!

Why not tell us what you really think, Mike? I like him. Youthful enthisiasm and he will probably be around a long time. His concerts all over the world bring huge crowds. He just might grow on you.Amy

I don't dislike him...I just think he is more of the same prepackaged stuff the music industry has been known to perpetuate once a particular genre ( John Mayer et al ) has struck a chord ( no pun intended ) with the mainstream....my barometer as to whether I like something or not is if I stop what I am doing and take notice when a song comes on...and when his songs come on - I dont...it has the same effect on me as elevator music...its there...but not really dong anything to me

He is harmless- no one screaming during his singing. LOL He is OK- not great but OK. He can carry a tune but he is a girl's singer- no men will go unless dragged by their wife or girlfriend.

I have the privilege of hearing some of the newest talent, and best around the country, here and in Ann Arbor (Austin ain't got nothing on us.) Some are stupendous. Yet, seeing ZZ Top in a small venue last weekend just blew my sox off.

I was living and working in Houston when both ZZ Top and Stevie Ray were small enough to still be doing small venues..

wow..what shows

Mike R said:
cookie cutter...corporate...unimaginatve...John Mayer wanna be

surely you've never even listened to him. he is NOTHING like john mayer. john mayer is blues to jason mraz's pop/scat/ska/stream-of-consciousness style...completely different. also, mraz's lyrics are upbeat/inspirational/motivational (his words, not mine). yes, they both play guitars (mraz acoustic/mayer electric) and they are both male, but other than that their styles are soooo different. mraz's band has a brass section and bongos while mayer has multiple guitars with no horns. i may be missing something, mikeR, but tell me where the similarities are!

i don't care if you like him or not, but please know that there is a difference in their styles.

gramchop said:
Mike R said:

surely you've never even listened to him. he is NOTHING like john mayer. john mayer is blues to jason mraz's pop/scat/ska/stream-of-consciousness style...completely different. also, mraz's lyrics are upbeat/inspirational/motivational (his words, not mine). yes, they both play guitars (mraz acoustic/mayer electric) and they are both male, but other than that their styles are soooo different. mraz's band has a brass section and bongos while mayer has multiple guitars with no horns. i may be missing something, mikeR, but tell me where the similarities are!

i don't care if you like him or not, but please know that there is a difference in their styles.

Welcome back, Missy! You've been missed. It was tough playing with these boys without you.

Jeanette said:
gramchop said:
Mike R said:

Welcome back, Missy! You've been missed. It was tough playing with these boys without you.

i've been catching up, jeanette! you have held your own nicely! you, me and amy tag teaming 'em helps!!! i'm glad those mean, nasty boys haven't scared you off! that attorney one can be a bit challenging!!!! the basketball coach/fisherman is a little easier to manage!!!

amyb said:
Good points, LC. I happen to like them both. A

me, too, amy! however, i don't see mraz playing along side eric clapton!!!

my daughter, sarah, and i are seeing mraz in austin on tuesday!!!

gramchop said:
Mike R said:

Please tell me how it makes a difference if one plays with or without horns? If Eric Clapton plays Layla solo or with the New York Philharmonic it's still Eric Clapton- right?
Mraz is a girlie singer that's why you girls like him.

Andy,

Horns add a distinct element to any performer's sound. Several legendary bands are defined by their horn sections - Earth, Wind & Fire and Chicago, for example.

No doubt Mraz appeals to the ladies and for good reason - let's start with his immense talent and charisma. Some of the same reasons the Beatles and Springsteen appeal to ladies, too.

Missy,

Enjoy Mraz in Austin! Two times in one month - lucky you. I wish I could fit in your suitcase.

if we ignore "it", maybe "it" will go away!!!!

thanks, jeanette! i'll try to post pics on facebook of the concert!

Jeanette said:
Andy,

Horns add a distinct element to any performer's sound. Several legendary bands are defined by their horn sections - Earth, Wind & Fire and Chicago, for example.

No doubt Mraz appeals to the ladies and for good reason - let's start with his immense talent and charisma. Some of the same reasons the Beatles and Springsteen appeal to ladies, too.

quote]

Apples and oranges. We aren't talking about an instrumental group. We are talking about an individual. My example stands. I don't think he is bad at all- at least he has a voice and can strum a guitar.