Thread: Flying over on Virgin Atlantic tonight and meeting a friend at Fishworks in Marleybone for dinner Tuesday evening. Seems they have Dover Sole on the menu at market price and I plan on sinking a tooth

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 53,624
    Flying over on Virgin Atlantic tonight and meeting a friend at Fishworks in Marleybone for dinner Tuesday evening. Seems they have Dover Sole on the menu at market price and I plan on sinking a tooth into one.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

Moderator Joined: Jun 2003 Vélo, Virginia Posts: 16,797
    Will you be honest in your assessment if you don't like the fresh variety? }:|

Safe travels, mon ami!
    The best moderation is the least moderation.

I will be as objective about the Sole as Mike R is about Auberge Petite Anse.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 44,695
    Sounds good as I may be having Dover Sole tomorrow nite here based on a recommendation from Kevin at La Voile. Of course yours may be a bit fresher. :)

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    if he truly doesn't see the difference, than his taste buds, at least in terms of seafood, are even more unsophisticated than I originally thought..LOL
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK
    I will be as objective about the Sole as Mike R is about Auberge Petite Anse.
    I am objective about Auberge...I tell most everyone in PM...dont go....you will hate it!
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2005 Cambridge, MA Posts: 7,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Andynap
    Sounds good as I may be having Dover Sole tomorrow nite here based on a recommendation from Kevin at La Voile. Of course yours may be a bit fresher. :)
    Andy, if you get the opportunity while in Boston, try Aquitaine. www.aquitaineboston.com

The mussels are divine and I do not use that word lightly. My meal there was one of the best I've ever eaten.
    Liberté, Égalité, Sororité

Got to Fishworks too late for the Dover Sole, so we settled for lemon sole. Very fresh and tasty. Highly recommend Fishworks if you are in London.

Attached Images Attached Images

lemon sole is excellent..we get a lot of that around here...good choice.

I have no idea what that fish is in your picture..but it isnt any of what is labeled in the ice ..there are a few mackeral ( yuck ) behind it...

The menu. Decent prices for London.

the fish and chips in England is mostly boiled dogfish which then gets battered and fried....they buy dogfish from the U.S. by the metric ton @50 cents a pound....

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 11,049
    Those fish in case look like a grouper or rockfish head cut just behind gillplate.thats a grouper mouth if I have ever seen one.
    "St. Bart's is Crack for Vacations." Credit given to EDW

Connected on the sole last night after reserving it. At market price they were 30 and 33 BPS, which is nearly St. Barth prices! The lemon sole was 13.50 BPS for comparison. What a delectable taste!

Also discovered a new small batch gin and vodka distilled in London proper. Quite tasty!

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,231
    After your post we too went to dinner and I had a remarkable Dover Sole. Thought of you feasting London with each subtle smack of my lips. Amy

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,555
    no dover sole at G.W. Fins last night in the french quarter, but a fabulous #1 yellowfin tuna!!!

looks and sounds like you're enjoying your adventures in london-town, pops!!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2008 NYC Posts: 1,419
    on our way to london via Paris and on your recommendation reserved table at Fishworks and asked them to "hold one order of DS for us"
    will review upon return on the 10th
    Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet it's the youngest you will ever be......so........ENJOY THE DAY

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 27,561
    Happy trails Henry and Carole!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,555
    have a wonderful time, you two! i look forward to your trip report!!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by soyabeans
    on our way to london via Paris and on your recommendation reserved table at Fishworks and asked them to "hold one order of DS for us"
    will review upon return on the 10th
    Enjoy!

I called the place in London and although they regrettably do not have any fresh Dover Sole on hand at the moment...they do have some great frozen mahi and wahoo on the menu this week..... }:|