Mes amis, I'm booked for a bike trip in mid-September for the Redding, Crescent City, Weaverville area. Anything I need to know?

tim

Mes amis,

I'm booked for a bike trip in mid-September for the Redding, Crescent City, Weaverville area. Anything I need to know?

Wow- that's really up there near Oregon. I would imagine it will be cool. Should be great riding- lots of grades on 101- coastal highway. Take lots of pictures.

Take plenty of drink. It is in the 100s this week. Is this around an event, or an organized tour?

J,

It's a tour organized by Colorado Heart Cycle. I found out about it through some folks I've ridden with on other tours in Europe. A couple of them have also signed up for the event.

I hope the temps go down some in the next several weeks. I like hot but not that hot!

An interesting note, flying my bicycle with me round trip now costs $250, but I sure wouldn't want to pedal 70 miles a day on anything else.

Andy and Amy,

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll definitely be taking lots of photos.

Not to worry about the heat, it will probably be snowing at those elevations by then :)

Like you are wrong- again

3834592107_780e443eac_o.gif

CRESCENT CITY is located on Hwy 101 on the beautiful Northern California coast about 20 miles south of the Oregon border. The area offers an abundance of outdoor recreational activities utilizing the proximity of the Pacific Ocean, the Smith River and Klamath River, Redwood National and State Parks, and the Smith River National Recreation Area. Crescent City is 1.6 square miles in size with a population of 7,542 and a surrounding urban service area of approximately 15,000. County-wide the population is approximately 26,000 encompassin
g 1003 square miles.The annual rainfall averages 75 inches. Summer coastal temperatures average 60 – 70 degrees, with inland temperatures much warmer. Winter temperatures average 40 – 50 degrees

A gorgeous area, Tim. Haven't been there in years. You'll love those rolling hills and sights that will turn your head. Have an exhilerating ride!

Mes amis,

When I said California or Bust, that was a joke on my part, but now I know I should have just said California Bust, as in drug bust. A friend of mine has just brought my attention to the below news article from an area where we should be riding -

"Authorities say they're about to destroy what they're calling one of the largest marijuana gardens ever discovered in Siskiyou County.

Sheriff officials say law enforcement doing a flyover of the Low Gap area near Seiad Valley this week spotted several growing operations, including one that had about 50,000 pot plants.

Authorities plan to raid the gardens on the ground to destroy the plants."

Well I survived northern California, but it was the toughest riding I've ever done, 500 miles and 37,000 feet of climbing in 7 days. I don't know which was more aggravated - my legs or my butt. We did in fact make it to the coast to spend some time on Hwy 101, not necessarily pleasant time. Some of the roads had more high speed traffic than I wanted to encounter. One dude inexpertly pulling a humongous camping trailer almost wiped out several of us.

The daily temp variation was amazing. One day started close to 40 and finished in the 90's. I started out wearing all the clothes I had brought and did a 70 mile striptease as the heat increased, not a very sexy performance I'm sure. I'm sorry to say I have no photos as my concentration was consumed by struggling up the hills. Too bad as there was some strikingly beautiful scenery, even a sighting of Bigfoot.

The best thing is that the people were friendly everywhere we went, as well as were the folks I accompanied on the trip. I'd ridden with some of them before in Europe, and it was terrific renewing old friendships.

My wife came out for a week after the tour for some easy touristing. We hit the Tahoe area, Virginia City, Reno, and Sacramento. California may be bankrupt, but the grounds of its capitol in Sacramento remain immaculate.