• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

moules y frites

zin

SBH Insider
Can anyone tell me which restos are serving fresh mussels and fries and on which days they are available. Last time in St. Barts it was Le Marine and Sante Fe only on certain days after they arrived on Air France.

No idea but love them..

090227-Blenheim04.jpg
090216-Dunedin01.jpg

Hi Zin-On our last trip we found ads in LE NEWS for any special moules and frites nights. La Marine did not always have sufficient supplies-so call ahead wherever you decide to go.

Barty, I thought amyb was just referring to running out of mussels. I would appreciate more of an explanation. I have had many good meals there albeit mostly mussels and fries. I do remember one bad experience now that I think about it. Has it gone down?

Many have complained about La Marine; however I have always had pretty good meals there. Decent simple grilled fresh fish and a nice view of the harbor. Maybe I have just hit it the right night.

I haven't been to La Marine since the early '90's. Back then, moules nights were a big deal- always crowded, but worth it.
I believe it's changed hands since my last visit (one of Carole's places, now?). I'd be interested in hearing new experiences, too.

My experience was lousy service and high prices since Carol's reign. I went there twice and vowed never again.

It is one of "caroles places." Dined there over the holidays for lunch and dinner. I thought the food and service were quite good. Reasonable wine list. Its not a particularily complicated formula. We thought they did a good job of taking good basic ingredients and not messing it up.

I think Tim has said it all. I would add that the quality is sketchy.

Its a shame since it is a great location.

Saladerie also used to have moules et frites.However, they served them with 3 sauces,on a fully set table with all cutlery and napkins, and the service was top notch.La Marine on the other hand, was a sloppy, sketchy, mess!

Kev- I would think it's a special at most places since apparently they don't know exactly when they are coming in.

Kevin-you are right about this. That's why it is best to check the daily Le News-to see who got them in............

Right. I know I was really disappointed when I couldn't make it to la Bananier on their Moules night.They were quickly booked solid.I lke it there and Cecelia the waitress, only thing is occasionally there is a septic odor....

BartyB said:
Yeah,hate to say it, but I'd pass on La Marine.

Yep. And, as Tim said, lousy service and the food doesn't compare to some years ago. Haven't been there in a number of years. As others have mentioned, ask around when the mussels are coming in. There are options.

I like frites on SBH. It's rare to find that greasy stuff of real quality in the USA. Petri, yes, the mayo makes them even better.