• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Anyone have any first hand experience with diving there? The only operation I have been able to find is Plongee Caraibes----are they THE place to go

ksakmorris

SBH Member
Anyone have any first hand experience with diving there? The only operation I have been able to find is Plongee Caraibes----are they THE place to go on island for diving? My hubby and I have snorkeled, never scuba, but are taking the course now so we can get our Open Water Certification when we are there. Any comments?

bb,
NYCFred and ErikN our the site's dive experts. I'm sure they will "dive" in soon!

i have dove here often, and with all the dive shops, they are all good, plongee carib is good thierry is a good man with a good team, i dive with splash, with stephan a good man as well with a love of the underwater, it is easy to dive here and a good place for beginning with lots to see, wrecks, reef , good sea life, my favorite site in pain de sugar, south mooring, welcome to a great sport and enjoy diving!

Thanks Erik and Martin! That definitely eases my mind that we won't be in "too far over our heads" as beginners! A nice boat is a very nice bonus too! Is pain de sugar a site that would work for beginners? I will definitely keep it in mind if we are given an option.

We are looking forward to seeing some abundant sea life and healthy reefs. Now we just cross our fingers for calm seas and slow currents, I guess.

keep your expectations low...scuba diving on St Barts is a little hoo hum compared to almost anywhere else....still probably a fun way to get initiated, but there are far far better places out there to dive

It sounded like the snorkeling reports were pretty good, with nurse sharks, turtles, rays. I would be happy with all of those!! I guess I assumed if people saw all that snorkeling we should be able to see that diving also?

diving is like fishing....you never know what you are going to get day to day....its a great sport...hopfully you will have good conditions and see a lot

That is exactly why I try to go "catching" instead of "fishing", so I guess we will try to go "sighting" instead of "diving".

I know we will be in the water a good amount for the certification, so hopefully we will see something cool. I know when I saw my first Spotted Eagle Ray when snorkeling, it made my whole year! SSOOOO majestic and graceful!

Thanks NYCFred! I hadn't been able to find him before. We always need a dog fix when we are on vacation and a Yellow Lab one is a rare luxury! :)

dont know where mike gets hoo hum from, 2 10ft sharks a eagle ray and octopus all in 1 dive today............yeah i guess thats boring!!!!lol as well a white and brown sea horse, i have never seen one in st. barts before its not everyday but the diving is good here and not crowded either, oh yeah the humpbacks in feb. were incredible as well, check out the video on splash website

eric....I ve done Sea of Cortez hammerheads...South Caicos humpbacks...Flower Gardens ...SABA Pinnacles...underwater aircraft carriers at Truk... most of the Grand Cayman spots well before the invasion..the Great Blue Hole at Ambergis Cay, Belize...and also St Barts diving since 1980......trust me...St Barts is hoo hum....but hey, by all means go and enjoy ...I just happen to be a little tired of it at this point in time..through my eyes its a little old