• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Dinner LaGaiac July 25, 2009

phil62

Senior Insider
On the eve of Phil's birthday, we dined at Restaurant La Gaiac at Hotel Le Toiny with onliners Henry and Carole-Mr & Mrs Soyabeans.

We enjoyed cocktails on this pool deck before dinner. The special of the evening was champagne with guava juice-like a Kir Royale-and delicious. We were treated to a platter of canapes too.
3761339625_14f9c2f67a_o.jpg

The first amuse sent out by chef Stephan-the Relais and Chateau's 2009 Grand Chef Winner-is fried squid basilique in a phyllo envelope.
3761339627_f142ff27c1_o.jpg

Another amuse is beef cheek ravioli in pesto-this was quite a tasty morsel
3761346387_54f5c680de_o.jpg

Henry opted for this colorful gazpacho that featured beet soup and tuna tartar
3761339631_3c0f8d826a_o.jpg

After months of drooling and dreaming, Carole got to enjoy the spaghetti pasta prepared for 3 of us in a huge cheese wheel with cream, truffle oil, truffles, and finished off flambe style in vodka. This favorite is still sinfully good whether eaten as a starter or a main course.
3761339629_bda0c21fe1_o.jpg

Then came the palate refreshing green intermezzo-I can not for the life of me remember what the ingredients were. Just good stuff, for sure.........
3761346393_5efcda4209_o.jpg

Phil's main course began as a huge veal chop prepared in a crust of salt and opened at the table. A wrapped chop was removed from this shell that looked like a golden rye bread, and then sliced at table and served with vegetables and a light truffle sauce-tender, moist, and incredible.
3761346399_3296e7e479_o.jpg

Carole and I enjoyed the Sea Bass pictured here. It is wrapped in a crust of thin potato slices and garnished with asparagus. Henry opted for the tasty grouper which i wrote up last week. The 3 fish eaters were quite content with their choices.
3761346395_25b82a71fd_o.jpg

We opted for a classic dessert, CREPES SUZETTES which also were prepared at the table. Here they are finished and presented afloat an orange flavored grande marniere butter and sugar sauce. Soft and delicate and delicious.

3761346421_9d5fa400e1_o.jpg

A great end to another great meal.

Beautiful phood, lovingly photographed :) We need to try that pasta next trip. I also loved the shot of the deck and pool. Brings back great memories.

The photo and description of Phil's veal chop may be the push that was needed to get me to re-visit Le Gaiac...

Kevin, Chef Stephane has truly blossomed. This was our second visit, all new dishes tried, all FANTASTIC. I predict the rebirth of a very fine dining option at La Gaiac. Amy

Amy
Thanks. Le Gaiac has always been our "#1". Looks like it is getting "better" after several years of less. We still miss Muhammed.

amy...i'm kicking myself for not making it to la gaiac this trip. you know, we tried to go for lunch, but they were only serving if we were guests of the hotel, which we were not.

i guess this means we have to go twice in november!

the meal looks extraordinarily scrumptious and i know how lively the conversation must have been at that table with you four wild and crazy kids!!!

Amy, You transported me acroos the miles to St. Barth! Lovely pictures of one of our favorite fine-dining establishments on the island. Le Gaiac, Victoria's and Eden Rock are wonderful choices for a special occasion---elegant setting, excellent food, attentive service. Glad Le Gaiac continues to be as good as we found it in Feb.

this was our first visit and the chef "outdid" himself with the preparation, the service was outstanding and our dinner partners were great

in all it was a meal that will be remembered long after we leave the island

First, the sea bass is a variation of the Daniel Boulud dish he made famous at Le Cirque. Second, although the pasta dish is great, it is atough dish to eat on a hot summer evening.... I am glad Le Gaiac continues to get rave reviews. I am eating there on Saturday. Can't wait.

Interesting, I thought some of their offerings in the past were a bit "over ambitious" and frankly too complicated. This looks more interesting. May give it a try again this winter. Thanks for the great shots.