Thread: My wife wants to upgrade to a smart-phone and thinks she can see a qwerty keyboard on her friend's iPhone without reading glasses. Right or wrong on that, she is on Verizon and doesn't want to chang

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,653
    My wife wants to upgrade to a smart-phone and thinks she can see a qwerty keyboard on her friend's iPhone without reading glasses. Right or wrong on that, she is on Verizon and doesn't want to change. Does anyone know of a Verizon-compatible phone that is similar to an iPhone in that respect? Someone suggested the LG Dare. Any thoughts?
    To the optimist the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer the glass is simply too big.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,354
    No first-hand knowledge of the DARE, but here is a review http://gizmodo.com/5020820/verizons-...est-iclone-yet

Note that she can retain her current phone number with a switch to the iPhone as Verizon must port the current number.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2005 Tyler, Texas and Beaver Creek, Colorado Posts: 4,653

She would have to change providers, wouldn't she? She's on a plan with her daughter, who has a Blackberry and I don't think she would want to switch.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,354
    Yes. Verizon iPhone in 2010+++
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

Thanks!

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK
    Yes. Verizon iPhone in 2010+++

counting the days
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,148
    Is there a RELIABLE source of info on coverage in the US by phone providers? I use AT&T and am satisfied. But, there are those pesky dead zones occasionally. Interestingly, I rarely have any problems in the way out "boonies." It's usually closer in to populated areas.
    Yeah, Yeah - IMHO

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Stinson Lake - New Hampshire & Provincetown - Cape Cod Posts: 51,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Voosh
    Is there a RELIABLE source of info on coverage in the US by phone providers? I use AT&T and am satisfied. But, there are those pesky dead zones occasionally.
    no...case in point....I get 4 bar AT&T reception in northern NH...BUT...when I called AT &T to exchange my Colorado AT&T to New Hampshire AT&T they told me they dont service my area...I said...."uh..not for nothing, but I am TALKING to you on my AT&T cell phone right now from northern New Hampshire!!!!!"...they said it doesnt matter...they dont service the area and thats that....

ridiculous..
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimi Hendrix

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2007 Detroit Posts: 13,148
    Only thing I can say, MikeR, is that eliminating outrageous roaming charges has made a difference in "staying in touch."
    Yeah, Yeah - IMHO