• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I am just going to keep on asking questions about all the places. The IDF Garden room is most suitable for our budget, but the virtual tours on IDF w

gk1182

SBH Member
I am just going to keep on asking questions about all the places.

The IDF Garden room is most suitable for our budget, but the virtual tours on IDF website do not show the garden room.. only the garden bungalow. As this is for our honeymoon, we are not sure about booking a room that we have not seen, and is not at least of the standard of the garden bungalow. Anyone have feedback on these rooms, the history of upgrading rooms during slow times, the comfort of the beds and the linens.. etc. I know a lot of poeple are fans of flamands and of the IDF on this website... I would love to hear everyones opinion... the hunt for the place never ends... everytime we are about the reserve a place... we look at another...and end up liking that one...until the next... :).. Maybe we should book our next trip, before we even finish the first!

The garden room is lovely. Big and spacious with safe and good closet and shelf space. The amenities are first class Moulton Brown products. A snack tray is there, the small frig is stocked with water, beer, and soft drinks, and it is free. Booze is extra. The bed is enormous and the linens first class and plush. The room has an outdoor sitting/dining area-2 chairs and a table. The maid comes at a time you arrange upon check in and there is nightly turn down and replenishing of towels-often a treat on the pillows! The huge bathtub and shower are separate from the POOPATORIUM. There are double sinks and huge mirrors. Our favorite hotel and we loved free standing cottages 19 or 20-a lovely stroll away from the main building using a boardwalk path through lush vegetation. Quiet and private. Good electronics. Have fun, Amy

Just a slight correction. The Garden rooms only have a shower, but are still very comfortable. If you are going off season, check out their packages. Typically, they include a dinner, a drink each evening, rental car, and often some other goodies.

I would try to get a garden bungalow. As Amy mentioned, we usually stay in one of these rooms when we are there. Besides the tub, they offer excellent privacy because they are free standing units.

I can't think of a better choice than IDF. The staff are wonderful and will try their best to help in any way they can. Location can't be beat, and the restaurant is excellent.

Phil

This is not the best shot of the bed and room but I am at work & don't have access to all my photos. It, at least gives you an idea of the bed and closet area in the background.

3719891397_21d547e6e9_o.jpg

We have stayed in the garden rooms many times..they are lovely. # 19 in the back against the hillside is our favorite. Haven't been there in a couple of years but it did have a full bath and shower..It is very private and it is a lovely walk to and from the main buildings..

KPD said:
We have stayed in the garden rooms many times..they are lovely. # 19 in the back against the hillside is our favorite. Haven't been there in a couple of years but it did have a full bath and shower..It is very private and it is a lovely walk to and from the main buildings..

I was reading elsewhere that beds can tend to be quite hard in the garden rooms, did you experience any discomfort with the beds?

Thanks!

I actually thought that the garden rooms were nicer than the rooms with ocean views. My recollection was that our garden room had a full tub, and we were lucky to get the garden room that had a private jacuzzi (the area around that room was fenced in).

To get to the gardens rooms, you walk through what must be the most beautiful parking lot in the world. The garden rooms are then set off to one side. The room we had was very large, the bed was very comfortable, the mosq. net was nice but luckily not needed, and the bathroom was large and comfortable.

In contrast, the ocean view rooms look out over the pool and the restaurant and bar. They seemed noisy. It was not something that appealed to us.
One more note -- the staff at the hotel was very helpful. We were there on our first trip to SB, and for a first trip, it was great to have people there who could provide directions, make our dinner reservations, etc.

I note that Villa Triagoz sits on the hillside immediately above IDF. When we were at Triagoz a year ago, the owner had a deal with IDF so that we could run a tab at IDF, use the beach chairs, etc. I'm not sure if that is still the deal, but if if is, then Triagoz is a great combination of the conveniences of a hotel, with the privacy of a hotel.

CPA, it would also be helpful to know if you'll plan to sit outside in the evenings. Breeze is an important factor in the summer in SBH. At a villa you can have the breezes and privacy. I love IDF but have never stayed there and have no feel if you can sit outside and avoid mosquitoes. I would doubt there is a breeze outside the Garden Rooms but those like Phil and Amy who are the resident IDF royalty and forum experts on IDF are your best source. IMHO SBH is not about AC. This summer the breezes have been great and many nights have been very cool in the breezes late at night. It is a great way to enjoy your Vanilla Rum.

Voosh said:
Not to get slightly off topic ;)

Has anyone stayed at Taiwana? Any reports?

Voosh,

What are you trying to do, get this site shut down?

No one has ever stayed there.

No one has ever eaten there.

No one is allowed to look at it.

Now change the subject or else.

And not to digress further, but nothing like walking through a liquor store only to hear "Hey [named deleted]?" Turns out my son and I were recognized by another forum member. That person and his wife as as charming in person as the person is "challenging" on the forum. Let that serve as a warning to anyone tempted to post photos on this site -- SBHonliners are EVERYWHERE!

Voosh said:
Sorry. Just an honest question.

Voosh,

Perhaps you didn't get the tongue-in-cheek-ness of my reply.

There have been several posts about that place...no one's ever there...you can't eat there if you're not a guest...and they chase you away if you even get too close...you can't even look at it...it's s joke, Voosh...like my Cubbies.

I've dealt with the "gestapo" there a number of times. I'm here. They're there. Perfect game for today. I just go for live and let live. No questions asked.

[In case we drifted too much, I'm talking about Taiwana. My post of papparz's is self evident. At T. - Over the years they have become too protective of a nice trek up the hill. I don't speak Russian but know when to stand down when I'm in my running shorts and the "other guy" is armed.]

Skeeter said:
And not to digress further, but nothing like walking through a liquor store only to hear "Hey [named deleted]?" Turns out my son and I were recognized by another forum member. That person and his wife as as charming in person as the person is "challenging" on the forum. Let that serve as a warning to anyone tempted to post photos on this site -- SBHonliners are EVERYWHERE!

Pleasure meeting you, too.

Challenging?

What was funny about the meeting was that Dennis apparently did not conclude that the Skeeter family was any more insane than he previously might have considered us, or if he did, was polite enough not to point it out.

This despite the fact that I was allowing my son to hang on to a $70 bottle of Bordeaux, my daughter, on a cloudless day, was walking through the store filled with very expensive bottles of wine carrying an umbrella, and my wife was very intent on finding the perfect cheese for dinner that evening.

I had lunch there last winter. I was curious if nothing more. Made a reservation which they gladly took. Frankly, it was sort of a non event. Nice view but no real vibe or energy to the place. Food and service were good. A fairly typical assortment of salads and grilled seafood. Restaurant about 2/3 full at lunch. Usual assortment of upscale beach cover-up sort of crowd. I did think the menu and the wine list were both considerably overpriced. They were protective of their parking, but that can be normal in the high season.