• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

I know we all know about this, but as of last Monday, it's offiicial....US citizens need a PP for the Caribbean. Explain to me the benefit of the $4

"all US citizens travelling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean will be required to carry a passport"

This has been the case for St Barts for years.

I hope this doesn't mean we will get a raft of people trying to come in on the new cards, which won't be recognised by the local authorities.

Counterfeiting is an art. Well, not really. Idiots could forge "the card." We always b*tched about "nanny states." We're there. I don't envy the folks at the borders who have to figure this one out on top of real issues.

Having just renewed my passport for my SBH trip, it was my understanding that the card was only good for sea landings -- a/k/a cruise ship passengers only.

If you fly, you need a regular old passport.

Ok, now I am worried. We leave in 2 weeks for SBH and SXM. I renewed my passport last year and we didn't visit the caribbean, so this is my first time using it. I know NOTHING about a passport card. Help!

Re: "If you fly, you need a regular old passport."

Yep. These days I wouldn't leave home without it. :/ }:( }:|

hokie90 said:
Ok, now I am worried. We leave in 2 weeks for SBH and SXM. I renewed my passport last year and we didn't visit the caribbean, so this is my first time using it. I know NOTHING about a passport card. Help!

From the DOS website http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

U.S. Passport Card

THE U.S. PASSPORT CARD IS NOW IN PRODUCTION!

U.S. Passport Card We began production of the U.S. Passport Card on July 14, 2008. To date, we have issued over 1,000,000 U.S. Passport Cards. Applications for the U.S. Passport Card are being processed in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. [highlight]However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel.[/highlight] This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.

I feel so well protected. :crazy: A passport makes all the best sense these days. For your own piece of mind.

Hokie,

Is your passport the book type, with a cover and a dozen or so pages inside? If so, you're good to go.

Voosh,

You can never have too many passports.

Kevin,

;) ;) What's that piece of paper, cardboard and a chip that I carry around? Just tattoo my forearm with a number. Or barcode my forehead. Or put a chip under my skin. "paranoia runs deep", sometimes even buffaloes get worried.

Yep, same old paper passport! Sorry for the delay....I've been packing up 19 years worth of teacher stuff in my classroom! Counting down the days until my toes are in the sand!

Thanks to all for the quick responses. Trip report to follow.

First time renting a villa. Can't wait.

Ok...rub it in! No, I have not retired. My age and years of service will not let me qualify! RATS!
I am a young ha ha 41 year old that acts and feels like a 20-something, so I am in it for a bit longer! I work for vacation. How's that?????

LOL

sorry....just an assumption since you said you were packing up 19 years worth of teaching stuff in your previous post....

i can relate to you, hokie...i'm 45 and don't act a day over 25...and i refuse to change!!!!

I'm on vacation.....You won't find any marked through items here with a red pen from me! I have my shades ready to go and am awaiting a cocktail!

gramchop: Too funny! I will keep on playing the lottery in hopes that I do not have to set foot in school again. big grin

Actually 24 is imprinted in my mind. I'd try a time machine to visit those days. Would never redo. No regrets.