Who's got crabs?

Dennis

Senior Insider
It's Soft-Shelled Crab season.

I made them last Saturday night: Soaked them in milk for about an hour then coated them in a flour/S & P/ Old Bay mixture. Fried 'em up and served them with a Smoked Spanish Paprika Aoli.

A lovely bottle of wine made for a wonderful evening. Trust me.

picture-21.png

Looking for some different ideas for this weekend.

Got Crabs?

I got the idea for the aoli from Friday Night's dinner out at This place.

We ordered a side dish of Patatas Bravas (Spicy Potatoes with Spicy Paprika Aioli.) I knew that soft-shells were on our list for things to make at home Saturday night and I was trying to figure out how to serve them. The Aioli was perfect and we created a Spanish menu around them with Serrano and Iberico jamon , garrotxa cheese and a recreation of the roasted potatoes. We thought about a Spanish wine but when I was in the wine store, a guy was promoting this house’s Rose. Mrs. Dennis loves, loves, loves Rose, so…

Very nice. I make an aioli when I do fried calamari rings. Let's see if the Intruder keeps this here or you wind up in the Food section. :p

We'll see.

I'm just waiting for Mr. Seafood to chime in on how I can't possibly be enjoying fresh soft-shelled crabs because I live more than 17' from the ocean and he finds them in his boots after digging for clams, etc, etc...

Dennis said:
We'll see.

I'm just waiting for Mr. Seafood to chime in on how I can't possibly be enjoying fresh soft-shelled crabs because I live more than 17' from the ocean and he finds them in his boots after digging for clams, etc, etc...

and I've come to accept that most of you, due to circumstances beyond your control, simply cannot enjoy truly freah seafood and I now I feel sorry for you all so I am not going to poke anymore....

Dennis said:
But why would I do that with soft-shelled crabs?

you could...the meat is the same...just no hard shell because they are moulted off.....why is another issue - but you could...there really isnt much you want to do with a soft shelled crab other than what you are already doing...but if you re flushed in them, the ideas I put forth are worthy of consideration

if you like soft shell crab season....you should see soft shell lobster season...and thats next month

love the avatar