• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Your air reservation name must match your passport EXACTLY starting this summer!

JEK

Senior Insider
TSA Secure Flight Program

Just got this email from my corporate travel department.

The TSA will soon begin rolling out this program in two phases and has given each airline its own implementation plan, with its own set of dates to meet.
Although these dates have not been made public, Corporate Travel recommends that you begin taking the following actions to ensure that the reservation booking process continues without interruption.

PHASE I – Updating Traveler Name to Match Government Issued ID

Phase I is expected to be implemented by mid-summer and requires that the name of the traveler’s air reservation match exactly with the name as shown on the government issued photo identification the traveler will present at the airport. Corporate Travel recommends taking the following actions as soon as possible:
Update Travel Profile - Travelers must update their travel profile with the new required information. This can be done on Travel Planner (U.S. only). The [highlight]name in your travel profile is the name that will appear on your airline ticket reservation and must match exactly with your government issued photo identification that you will present at airport security.
If you travel internationally, the name on your air reservation must match your passport as your passport would be the legal document required to travel.
[/highlight]
Frequent Flyer Accounts – To ensure that the reservation booking process continues without interruption and to receive proper mileage credit, travelers should confirm that the name on their frequent flyer accounts matches the name on their ticket and government-issued identification that will be presented at the airport. The process for making a change to frequent flyer accounts varies by airlines. Please contact the airline(s) directly to make these changes.

PHASE II – Updating Profiles with Date of Birth and Gender

Phase II of updating traveler’s profiles with their date of birth and gender is expected to be implemented in the fall. The current profile system is not yet equipped to accept this additional information. Corporate Travel is working with our preferred Travel Management Companies to accommodate this change. Further communication will be forthcoming.

Please find additional information available at this TSA website TSA Secure Flight

Crying in your bourbon won't change it. It'll take a while for this paranoid stuff to calm down. Quite a while. It's harder to undo official crap than to crap (pardon my French) on all of us.

It seems like days ago that I could cross over the border (just next door for me) and visit friends without a concern about being treated as a criminal. Now, my passport is only the start of a journey to a couple miles down the road.

Pretty shortsighted and stupid. WTF?

This is going to be a mess. I just looked at a couple of my FF accounts and there is no way to change the name on an account without an act of Congress, well at least a phone call. I called AmEx and after faxing them my passport, they will have all my travel partners change my name on all accounts and issue new cards to me. Of course, I'll need a new AmEx card too :(

Happened to Phyllis last year- Passport says Mary Phyllis and Ticketed to Phyllis. The USAIR agent said "Oh Oh" and after she told us I said: "Change the name on the ticket". Oh NO says she- "I can't do that. See if you can get thru security and if not I'll change the ticket."
"Change it now" I say. NOPE.
So we sweat the line upstairs and I pick an old codger agent and we get thru.
Never again. Tix now issued to "Mary".

C'mon Andy. I have a credit card that's served me well. 30 some years ago I just put in my initials and last name on the application. Still here. Still doin' it. Now I have to go through the offshore call center and try to change everything that's worked for years? Just to exactly match my passport? Putrid. I say - putrid. And, scary, crazy BS just making all good folks wonder WTF?

I always thought this was the case in the past. I was concerned about it years ago in 2000 when I got married, and when my sister was hyphenating at one point.

Andynap said:
John- Why wouldn't you have your REAL name on your FF account and cards??
Because, like many of us, I use a middle initial on signatures and FF applications, but not my full name as on my drivers license and passport. My AmEx card has been my initials since 1982.

Any reservations I would make using mileage would have been ticketed incorrectly as I never used my full middle name back when they were established in the early 80s.

ditto...I have cards with Mike...cards with Michael.. cards with and without my middle name...cards with my corporate name and then my initials...this is a mess...

Am I oversimplifying by assuming that I am ok if my name on my passport is identical to my name as used on the FF accts for each airline and on my credit cards ???

Mike R said:
ditto...I have cards with Mike...cards with Michael.. cards with and without my middle name...cards with my corporate name and then my initials...this is a mess...

When we got home I changed all of Phyllis FF accounts to Mary and I did it online.

Doesn't work that way for the owner of record for AA or DL or US now. Plus, if you use AmEx travel the card name must = the reservation name must = the FF name. This is a huge pain.

Oh yeah! Another great day in the neighborhood.

V. O. Osh

P.S. Remind me to tell some stories of crossing across to Windsor sometime. I do it often. I do it well for perfectly good reasons. And am pi*sed more and more as the moronic "defense" humbogumbo places a constriction on open, free trade and travel between our two fine countries. I believe we had, between Ontario and Michigan, one of the best, free and secure national borders around. Now it's like placing mousetraps where mice don't bother.

Alright, I'll go back to the VO, though VSOP is the least I'll pour in my gas tank. LOL.

V. O. Osh

Thanks for the heads-up, Jean. Just called Lufthansa to add my daughter's middle name (as it appears on her passeport) to an existing international flight reservation for September. "You'll be charged $100", the agent said, oh then he added, "her itinerary's been changed too, she's leaving the 13th not the 12th". I got in several expletives before I was put on perma-hold.