Georgia on My Mind

amyb

Senior Insider
Tomorrow I head to Athens GA via Atlanta for a few days. I am looking forward to sampling Southern hospitality and Southern cooking along with exploring this historic area. I get to spend time with my twin brother and that is always a hoot! I am also linking up with a new friend. I will try to keep us both out of trouble and will let you know about my adventures in more detail when I get back. Amy

why heaven forbid....don't you dare stay out of trouble! that's what makes the south so much fun! have a mint julep AND a sazerac ...both in the same day! get wild, amy...

happy trails and take lots of photos!

I am looking forward to a major photo shoot. The mint julep I have heard of, natch. The sazerac will be a new experience. By the way, is it a drink or a pastry?

even if it were, this is the south....we're above the liquor law. remember, we can walk the streets with open containers down here! heck, we have drive-thru daiquiri stores!

I see I am in for a Southern education as well. I accept the challenge. Will try new things.

that's my soul sister!!!! i knew you were an adventureous girl!! you're going to have a wonderful time.

The Eagle has landed!!! Just heard from Amy and she is in Georgia. The first thing she asked me is "what's happening on the forum". The woman is possessed.

Phil

tell her I'm heading her way Thursday...fly into Knoxville..then a short car ride to Robbinsville NC and on to Lake Santeetiah.....some of our biking will be in North Georgia....if she wants to party with a bunch of crazy bikers tell her to come on over

Just back from a great day with Amy :) We took a jaunt over to Madison for the day. Lunch at the Chop House & dinner with her Brother at Town 220. Wonderful day of walking the town and perusing the shops.

We avoided being arrested...but there is always tomorrow :blush:

The weather in Georgia was more than cooperative and a nice day for the top down. If you get on the computer tonight Amy - I HAVE TAN LINES from today YIKES. A terrible condition :crazy:

i'm so glad you girls are having a good time. i was concerned about amy's root canal. i assume it went well.

thanks for the update, erma! i look forward to the posting of your mug shots later in the trip!

greetings from Lake Santeetiah...the dogwoods and crepe myrtles are in full bloom....warm...... party tonight on the boat deck Amy...only 3 hours away..plenty of peach moonshine!

i can see it now...erma and amy taking a road trip to drink peach moonshine with mikeR.....look out !!!!

First off - the root canal seems to be a total success :) Kudo's to Amy's twin Brother Alan for a fantastic job.

Our adventure this morning kept us in Athens since Amy had to be back to the dental chair by 12.

First up was a trip to my local roaster for a refill of beans and a chance for Amy to see a micro roasting coffee business with a purpose. Ben from 1000 Faces Coffee took time out of a busy morning to entertain and educate us on coffee and personally made Amy a cappuccino that she said rivaled the former "best" in Italy. Next up Dave explained his roasting process up close and personal. "Sidamo" (Ethiopian) was in the machine and we watched as it went through the process. At the same time Ben was completing a couple of cups of the brew for he and I to sample. I think that Amy really enjoyed this unexpected stop :) We both came away with a great stash of beans and I hope she enjoys sharing coffee with Phil on Saturday morning.

As a side I truly enjoy the relationship I have with Ben and 1000 Faces. They are so much more than a coffee supplier! On multiple times they've work in conjunction with our local art house theatre, Ciné, to host movies such as Black Gold and the High Price of Sugar; fund raising events for the "Bottles for Babies" project in Guatemala (Finca El Injerto is their coffee from this region); the Red Ribbon Roast that supports AIDS Athens; and fundraising for local schools (nice alternative to candy and magazines!). Of course there is more but I wanted to give you an idea of the depth that Ben and the team go to be beyond ordinary. If you like what they stand for give them a try - they ship :)

Next up Amy proposed a visit to the T.R.R. Cobb House Luck was just on our side as the curator, Mr. Sam Thomas, was available and offered us a personal tour of the home. Beautiful restoration and interesting story of the family and Mr. Cobb. I only wish we had a bit more time to explore the gardens but alas part two of Amy's root canal awaited....but not before a very quick lunch at the Clocked Restaurant Diner

Then I was off to Washington (Georgia!) for a business meeting but I did get to stop in to see Amy one last time on the way home. She was quite content in the lobby reading her book and looking forward to a wonderful evening with her Brother. I think sushi was mentioned :)

Here is where I just have to thank Amy-I experienced so many things over the last two days that honestly go unnoticed to a native. What fun to learn about and enjoy my State because of a visit from a wonderful woman. The weather yesterday was perfect for wandering around Madison and today we fit in a few select sites during a short morning visit. I hate that Amy had a tooth problem but we made the best of it! Best of all - we managed to keep out of serious trouble. No mug shots.

Missy - you'll have to wait for Amy to return home for the photo part of the program.

Mike- what day will you guys be in North Georgia? I got boned by the husband - he's doing some 6 hour enduro race on Saturday at Durham Town Plantation. Where will you be on Sunday? I'll ride around town on the KTM but no way in the mountains. Sometimes being a pilon stinks. Amy is on antibiotics so no drinking for her. Be safe riding no matter what. Hope to hear from you.

Erma..given the iffy weather we will be riding relatively close..the Highlands...Cashier..the Dragon...the Skyway...probably wont make it to N Georgia....and by the way the expression "getting boned by the husband" has a totally different meaning up north.....LOL

gotta go....Carolina BBQ is ready to eat!!!

Erma, thanks for babysitting my bride. I spoke with her this afternoon, and she was really enjoying her time with you. BTW, in line with MikeR's comment, I wouldn't go around talking about being boned by the husband, unless, of course, you're bragging.

Hope to meet up with you and your husband on SBH sometime.

Phil

Hope you girls are having a better day than us...no riding today....lots of rain....weekend forecast is good however..

lazy day on the lake.....maybe I'll go fishing if the rain lightens up a bit

i was trying to be polite and not snicker at the phrase being discussed, erma. however, i did find it amusing. i'm sure you didn't mean it the way my dirty mind filtered it, but it was amusing, nonetheless!