NFL Broadcaster John Madden Retires Associated Press NEW YORK -- John Madden is calling it quits. NBC said Thursday that the burly ex-coach who h

JEK

Senior Insider
NFL Broadcaster John Madden Retires

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- John Madden is calling it quits.

NBC said Thursday that the burly ex-coach who has been one of pro football's top broadcast analysts has decided to retire. Mr. Madden, 73, has been working for the past three seasons on NBC's Sunday night NFL game. His last telecast was the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh.

Since he left coaching in 1979, the former Oakland Raiders coach has worked as an analyst for all four broadcast networks. His "Madden NFL Football" is the top-selling sports video game of all time.

Nr, Madden is reluctant to fly and often traveled to games in a specially-equipped bus. He said in a statement that he still loves all aspects of the job, "but I know this is the right time."

Love him but good. Was getting tired of him. WHo replaces?

I'm thinking this guy:

caliendo%20madden.jpg

he was alright...but 99% of the time I have the video on for a basketball or football game and the XM Radio on music for the sound...I can only take so much rhetoric and stating the obvious

I always enjoyed him teamed with Pat Summerall but after Pat's retirement it just wasn't the same. But I maintain that life is more fun and made better use of if ya wait until Thanksgiving before you start watching football.

So long John, it was a mighty nice party.

Cris Collinsworth will succeed John Madden as the analyst in the NBC broadcast booth for the network's Sunday night NFL game telecasts, NBC executive Dick Ebersol announced during a conference call with reporters today.

HATED IT!!!
This is completely predictable. We need to establish the "Rooney rules" for hiring broadcasters. I guess being Bob Costas' lackey for all these years has finally paid off for Collinsworth. Gotta love the "ole boys" network. Would have loved to have seen someone like Darren Woodson, Rod Woodson or James Hasty given a chance to provide "another perspective" in the booth. Nothing worst than seeing former players(like Collingsworth) who have accomplished very little on the field commenting on current players.

Good thing I weaned myself of the NFL, although I admire the NFL's business model.

Enjoy

Posted by: mitigaterisk | April 16, 2009 2:04 PM

I like CC's irreverence, ability not to take himself too seriously, and occasional willingness to gore the NFL's sacred cows. Madden thought the NFL was God's agent on earth. As a former player, CC recognizes this for the brutal, unforgiving business it really is.

Posted by: salescoach | April 16, 2009 2:02 PM

Madden was the best hands down - no comparison.

Collingworth is a rube. I can't stand him or Obberman. They're both jerks.

Sorry to see Madden retire. Him and Pat Summerall were the best football announcers of all time. It wasn't football without them and football certainly won't be the same without them.

Posted by: Jaymand | April 16, 2009 2:00 PM

Collinsworth is a terrific choice.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | April 16, 2009 1:50 PM

Collinsworth is a stooge. Easily the most annoying sportscaster for the NFL.

Madden at worst displayed a little Raider nostalgia from time to time, in between seriously good analysis.

Collinsworthless is just relentless in his hate for teams that used to beat his old team, say in the Super Bowl for instance. There are about 20 guys that I could name that are better than Cris.

Posted by: scottst | April 16, 2009 1:40 PM

I'll take Collingsworth over slobberin' Coach Cowher.

Posted by: hackster52 | April 16, 2009 1:36 PM

Hate to see John retire of course but those long distance RV trips must be tiresome at his age. I agree with Ebersole, Collingsworth is terrific. Happily he did not choose to mimic the inane from SNF. There I watch the entire game with the mute on.

Posted by: Java9 | April 16, 2009 1:36 PM

I like Collinsworth, but he's going to need to put on a lot weight to fit into Madden's wardrobe.

Posted by: pippsk | April 16, 2009 1:33 PM

A good choice. Cris was a first-rate player and offers both insider knowledge and an excellent sense of humor.

Posted by: ottoman1 | April 16, 2009 1:30 PM

I enjoyed Madden. But, I don't think Collinsworth is the wisest replacement. They should have made a play for Cowher. I think Madden being a former coach really lend itself to his analysis. Cowher was the guy for this job, hands down. Sorry if duplicate.

Posted by: delOH | April 16, 2009 1:28 PM

Chris - you're kidding me.

I knew Madden would not be around forever but I don't think Chris is very good.

Posted by: rlj1 | April 16, 2009 1:02 PM

Collinsworth is good. He's no Madden, but he's still plenty good. I like it.

Posted by: tifoso1 | April 16, 2009 12:59 PM

Good News Bad News!
Madden is gone, good news!
Bad news, Collingsworth took his place!
The sound will be muted for sure now!